Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Nice D-ring Rip! I did the same as gsgmac and ordered from winchline Monday. The UPS Tracker says it should be here monday, the day after my outing to the Cliff's! I will paint the d-ring a different color though. I like the yellow because it stands out!

I purchased a receiver hitch with a shackle and pin for $29.00 from Winchline. I liked it because it was all black and came with the pin.

Found here:
Winchlines.com 800.275.3809

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Got the same thing from Winchline.com, picture shows nice and black, in reality it's green and silver, and says "Made In China" all over it. Had I known that I would've had my local welder fab me one, (quoted $45) and MADE IN AMERICA!:flame:
Not singling you out Jerrore, but: That's why I got the trusted WARN brand for $32. Not going to try and save pennies on a D-ring...Since Winchline is over in Portland, I'm going to stop by and see what kind of brick-and-mortar presentation they have. I have a feeling it will all be Made in China kinda stuff...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can I ask a really stupid question here? I think these rings are great and it looks like they are not that expensive. BUT why don't you just put the tow strap into the receiver hitch and secure it with the hitch pin? Why have to buy an extra piece to carry around with you?

I have done this for 30 years and have experienced no problems using a 30K lb. snatch strap.

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Can I ask a really stupid question here? I think these rings are great and it looks like they are not that expensive. BUT why don't you just put the tow strap into the receiver hitch and secure it with the hitch pin? Why have to buy an extra piece to carry around with you?

I have done this for 30 years and have experienced no problems using a 30K lb. snatch strap.

Cheers.
Marc
Valid point and it should work like a charm. I think the main reason is for ease of attachment, that and the hitch could fill with a whole bunch of mud. Kinda hard to thread the needle at that point.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Valid point and it should work like a charm. I think the main reason is for ease of attachment, that and the hitch could fill with a whole bunch of mud. Kinda hard to thread the needle at that point.
Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Cheers.
Marc
I completely agree with you Marc! I've used that method a few times. Works great, except for the last time where...

Trying to dig out mud from the receiver was a bit of a pain. It took a couple of times with the pressure washer to get rid of it all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have seen hitch pins bend when doing this but have also seen them used like this many times. I have a separate warn just in case.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Anyone know where I can pick up the receiver? I don't need a shackle. Every place I have seen sells the shackle with it.
I've not seen that particular receiver shackle by itself without the D-ring.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Do you have any idea where I can pick the receiver up? Any receiver?

If anyone is looking here is a pretty decent deal on a Warn: Receiver Shackle
The receiver is the hitch itself. The receiver shackle is the square tube that slides into the receiver that has the D-ring attached. I bought mine off eBay.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
662 Posts
Wouldn't be that much of a discount, I think I'd rather have the extra shackle.... never know when you may need extra rigging equipment

·
Registered
695 Posts

Cheers.
Marc
Understand that this is an old comment but this is really a safety issue.....

Despite not having had problems in 30 years it is not as simple as saying no one else will ever have a problem too. Each person should carefully examine their hitch assembly for sharp edges that will damage their strap. If a hitch pin is used as the anchor it has to have a high enough shear strength to withstand the forces generated by a vehicle recovery. See below. It also has to be a perfectly straight pull or else the force is loaded on the pin and the hitch unevenly and will apply a bending moment to the pin and possibly load the side of the receiver unevenly too.

From another forum and thread:

Most people are using a class III hitch pin, which is typically a 5/8" pin made from C1018. This steel is not particularly strong, roughly 60 ksi yield and 5/8" pin has about 0.31 sq-in of area. It's better to use a 5/8" grade 8 bolt, which is 150 ksi. BTW, ksi short for thousands of pounds per square inch, so 120 ksi is 120,000 lbs/sq-in. The rule I remember is to take 50% of ultimate yield in tension and that is your ultimate shear yield. So a 5/8" hitch pin will yield at about 9300 lbs, where as a grade 8 bolt will yield in shear at just over 23,000 lbs.

It was also mentioned that the portion of the bolt that contacts the strap would have to be unthreaded and lots of arguing about the bolt or pin being in single shear or double shear mode.

For all of the trouble that could happen a hitch shackle nicely addresses all of the concerns for less than $50.

Ultimately a well built bumper with dedicated recovery points does it all.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts