Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a Gobi ladder for the back. My question is;how often do you use your back window(open) and is the loss of functionality worth it? I really like the look of it and it would make it easy to access the roof. If I really need to open the window is the ladder easy to remove etc? Just want some opinions before i drop the money on it. Thanks
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
This is an issue to me. Though I will admit, I hardly ever open the rear window, but I do sometimes. So here is the question, how often do you open your rear glass vs how often will you actually climb the ladder? The reason I've never bit the bullet, more often then not when I'm accessing the roof, I have the doors open and am standing just inside the cab. So thus far, I haven't been able to see a realistic reason for me to get one.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Over the last fiveyears with my FJ, I have only opened the back window maybe 4-5 times... and all but one or two were for cleaning around it...

;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I first got the truck in December so it's a little too cold to run around with it open. I'm thinking in case I have to haul some 2x4's I could let them out the window to fit. Wish they would make a quick release or something for it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is an issue to me. Though I will admit, I hardly ever open the rear window, but I do sometimes. So here is the question, how often do you open your rear glass vs how often will you actually climb the ladder? The reason I've never bit the bullet, more often then not when I'm accessing the roof, I have the doors open and am standing just inside the cab. So thus far, I haven't been able to see a realistic reason for me to get one.
X2:cheers: I only open it for my dogs, and 2x4's.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
I use the ladder all the time to get at the back and have never missed the rear window opening.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I'm torn. I've got the ladder and love it but it bugs me a tad that I can't open my window....even though it would probably be on rare occasion that I do. But I don't use the ladder that often either.

When I bought my ladder I never even thought about the fact that I wouldn't be able to open the window anymore. One of those little things that just completely slips your mind. I had been mulling over tires around the same time and had been paying attention to whether people were still able to open their windows with particular tire sizes. So I put on my ladder when I get it and the light bulb goes off: "oh...well....I guess I don't have to worry about tires blocking the window anymore!" :facepalm: :lol:

The reason I've never bit the bullet, more often then not when I'm accessing the roof, I have the doors open and am standing just inside the cab.
Just don't pull the trigger after you bite the bullet! ;)

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
I don't miss having the rear window access. Only problem with the ladder is keeping my kids off the roof rack!! It wouldn't be too hard to remove the ladder if you had to but I sure wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary. Only reason I can think of that would cause me to take it off would be to clean around it every year or so.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I'm in the Gobi ladder groupbuy. So far for me the roof rack hasnt even been used since I've had the FJ. Twice I've opened the back window to carry long items like 2x4's and a ladder after trying to use the rack first and at least for me the stock roof rack isnt very functional. BUT I plan on getting some type of rack insert so that in the future I can actually use it and the ladder.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Like the looks of the ladder, but like my window access better. Use it a lot on trails, kids ahng out the back, 2x4s and PVC/copper pipe too. never been one to off raod with the AC on all buttoned up. The window open makes for a more outdoorsy feeling. After all, that's why we're out there. I have a plan for an onboard walk around ladder to access all parts of the roof rack. Hope to have it made by summer. The Gobi and knock offs limit access to the left rear only and that window thing, no way.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I use the rear window when I go camping, usually because I'm too lazy to open the door.

A latter is coming in the next few months, because I'm tire of climbing on the spare tire to tie things up to the roof, or when washing the truck...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a ladder, and hate that I can't use my window anymore, mostly to easily hold my surfboard without having to rack it.

As a ladder owner, I can tell you that with it I never use it, or only one run anyway. The rungs are just too small on the left side as it clears the tire to use it at all. 90% of the time I end up standing on the spare.

Thinking about building a couple of rungs that will mount behind the tire and give you the one rung I use, and retain the utility of the window.

What I want to see someone invent is a device to allow the window to "crack" open a couple of inches to eliminate the helicopter effect of having your windows open.

Thought about making a clip that would hook the window to the ladder too to accomplish something similar to get that functionality back.

It does look cool though, and that is probably why I haven't removed it. Nothing to do with utility, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
First issue in my opion is the ladder is too small and too hard to use. When I want to access the top of my FJ I open the door and stand on the bumper or the back of the storage compartment. I like being able to open the window.

Put the ladder money into something else.

·
Registered
954 Posts
It seems like I am one of the few who use their rear window regularly. I often drive with it open when the weather is nice. I guess I should cross my fingers I don't drop dead from carbon monoxide poisoning. I think the ladders look great, but I personally would rather have a rear window that opens. I'll take sliders and metal bumpers for standing/climbing.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
It seems like I am one of the few who use their rear window regularly. I often drive with it open when the weather is nice. I guess I should cross my fingers I don't drop dead from carbon monoxide poisoning. I think the ladders look great, but I personally would rather have a rear window that opens. I'll take sliders and metal bumpers for standing/climbing.
I'm with you, I use my window pretty often for hauling and sometimes just to have more air. At the same time, I hate having to crawl all the way on top of the spare tire to get to the roof. I like the looks of the ladder, but it simply won't work for my purposes. I'd love to see another solution that allows for roof access and an open rear window.

·
Registered
954 Posts
br ladder.jpg i am sure there are many structural reasons why this can't be done, but it would be nice if the rung that prohibits the window from opening could be removed as well as the verticle bar in the section that crosses the rear window on the right hand side. Have a full ladder at the bottom up to the window, and a full top rung attached above the window, but only the left hand side verticle bar attaching the top and bottom. Maybe some sort of cross bar support that ties in with the spare tire mount. Since I don't have a ladder I am not that familiar with how useful the rung that crosses the window is. Maybe the ladder would be pointless without it.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
My kids seem to sleep better on long trips with the back window open. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I use my rear window ALL THE TIME!!!! Even if it's raining, I have a turn buckle in the back to only keep it open half way ;)

I also pile everything on my rack! From 20 gal coolers to 2 spare tires!!!!

But at 6 foot even I see no need for a tiny latter. To me they just seem like useless flare! I can step from my bumper to my spare to my roof with ease! But if u wanna look like a mini Winabago, go for it!
:lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts