Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do my rear LCA bolts keep falling out? I see a lot of posts but no one ever really answers the question. I have the stock LCAs and bolts. The truck is lifted 3". More flex? The UCAs are fine. The LCAs are loose again. One shop told me I needed new Toyota bolts and they need thread locking compound applied while they are being torqued. I came close to losing the drivers side and the passenger side was on it's way out. Is this a common problem when lifting a FJC?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iconic_,
Thanks for the reply and confirmation. I ordered new bolts and nuts from Toyota. I have Loctite red thread locker. I will buy a torque wrench but need to know how many ft pounds. J&S said 120 ft pounds. That seems like a lot. I want to get this under control before I install big tires and the Raptor Tune.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I had this issue when I put my REZV fab links on. I used lock tite and re-torqued. Have not had the issue since. if I remember correctly the torque spec was 96 ft lb. uppers are 59 ft lb.
DSC_0175.JPG

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the data guys! Thats what I had heard. New bolts and nuts should be here on Tuesday. I will buy a torque wrench today and I have the red Loctite. All this started after I lifted the truck, but I also started wheeling it more!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I learned A LOT from a Tech who set me straight when he installed my new rear control arm bolts. I didn't know that the bolts needed to be torqued with the wheels on the ground or on an alignment rack (set at normal ride height). The body also has to be positioned straight because the control arms are part of the leveling system. It effects overall alignment.

The rear control arm bushings are not supposed to turn on the bolts that fix them to the brackets otherwise they fall out! The bolt compresses the bracket against the bushing sleeve and prevents rotation which forces the rubber inside the bushing to flex. The rubber is supposed to flex, not rotate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts