Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear link armor bolt questions, Pics added...

OK, here is another armor question that i have been wondering about today.
I have a set of Outrider front lower link suspension armor, and a set of the new All-Pro Rear lower link suspension armor. I also have a set of TheToyoutfitters lower control arms too put on . I want to do the install upgraded to the 9/16" GRD 8 bolts on them.
What i have noticed it that when you use the 4" bolt with in "washer-armor-washer-lockwasher-nut order", when the nut would tighten down, the bolt would not even be to the end of the nut. Would it be better to use a 4 1/2" bolt over a 4" to get that "extra" through the nut? I plan on using Nylock nuts on them also.
I was wondering too if there was a difference between using a 9/16"-12 thread bolt, over a 9/16"-18 thread bolt?

Here are some pictures to show what i found.

OSA front link armor, 4 1/2" bolt w/2 flat washers, Nylock nut. +.321" bolt protrusion.

All-Pro Rear link armor, 4 1/2" bolt w/ 2 flat washers, Nylock nut. +.204" bolt protrusion.

OSA front link armor, 4" bolt w/2 flat washers, standard nut. No bolt protrusion.

All-Pro Rear link armor, 4" bolt w/ 2 flat washers, standard nut. -.139" bolt protrusion.

Sorry if this seems silly, but i just want to make sure I do it the best way that i can.

Once again, Thanks in advance.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Go with the longer bolt to make sure you are using all the threads in the not.

In general, fine threads are considered to be stronger than the same size/grade course thread. I think in this case it is a mute point as the odds of pulling the threads out are slim at best. If both are grade 8 they will have the same strength in shear, you are safe.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stan!
Should I use washers on both bolt head, and nut side also?
I've seen pictures both ways here. Any preference?
Lock washers with Nylock nuts, or just the Nylock nuts?

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Added some pics to show what i found.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I generally use bolt head/washer/ part/ washer/lock washer/nut. You certainly want to go with a bolt that completely clears the nut when tight.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I generally use bolt head/washer/ part/ washer/lock washer/nut. You certainly want to go with a bolt that completely clears the nut when tight.
I did the install today and went with the 9/16" 4 1/2" GD8 with washers and
Nylock nuts. Might do a write up noting a couple of "anomalies" that I
discovered during the installation.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have actually stopped using mine until I can get them welded on. No matter how tight the bolts are, the OSA lower link guards can still rock up and down vertically (like a see-saw, if you will) and make noise over every bump. I absolutely hate strange clunk/clang noises. My stock lower link mounts are kinda bent so maybe they aren't fitting properly, I dunno.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Realize this is an old thread, but it relates to my question.

What is the original factory diameter of the bolt? 9/16" is 14.3 mm, so is the factory bolt 14 or 15 mm? I want to replace the front bolt I got with my OSA armor as it's rusting, but I'd like to keep everything on the truck metric.

And is there a difference between metric and standard grades? I know the bolt OSA provides is grade 10.9 (or maybe 10.8) metric.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The stock hardware is 14mm.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
So 14 mm bolts don't come in the right length from what I've found, so I'm going with 9/16". Quetsion is, where did you get 4.5" bolts? I looks at Lowe's and they only had 4" or 5". Haven't look at HD yet, that's my next stop. Was going to just order online, but everywhere I found wanted ~$11 for shipping, which is the same price as the bolts, and seems ridiculous. So any help would be appreciated :cheers:

Also, did you use normal nylon lock nuts, or did you find Grade 8 nylon lock nuts? I found the Grade 8 ones online, but again shipping was ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
So 14 mm bolts don't come in the right length from what I've found, so I'm going with 9/16". Quetsion is, where did you get 4.5" bolts? I looks at Lowe's and they only had 4" or 5". Haven't look at HD yet, that's my next stop. Was going to just order online, but everywhere I found wanted ~$11 for shipping, which is the same price as the bolts, and seems ridiculous. So any help would be appreciated :cheers:

Also, did you use normal nylon lock nuts, or did you find Grade 8 nylon lock nuts? I found the Grade 8 ones online, but again shipping was ridiculous.
It looks like there's a Fastenal near you (based on your sig) - might want to give them a try. TXBRY - Bryan, TX 77802 | Fastenal

When I ordered my OSA armor there was a delay while they waited for new bolts to come in. I'm guessing these aren't something you're going to find on the shelf of your average retailer?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
It looks like there's a Fastenal near you (based on your sig) - might want to give them a try. TXBRY - Bryan, TX 77802 | Fastenal

When I ordered my OSA armor there was a delay while they waited for new bolts to come in. I'm guessing these aren't something you're going to find on the shelf of your average retailer?
Thanks for the advice! I'll have to go in and see if they can order them for me, as ordering online and having them shipped to my house is just as expensive as everywhere else...haven't these companies heard of flat rate priority boxes??

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Fastenal will have the bolt length, but you may pay a little extra for a broken package, or may have to upgrade plating.

I didn't read the bolt specs, but want to make sure that the threads don't stop inside the link.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Well I ended up just buying 5" Grade 8 9/16" bolts at Lowe's (HD didn't have anything in Grade 8 9/16"). Put a cutting die on them, then cut off ~0.5" and backed off the die to clean up the threads. Had to use 2 Grade 8 washers on the hex head side to make sure there was enough thread for the lock nut to tighten down all the way, but much cheaper than special order 4.5" bolts.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
It's also worth checking out www.mcmaster.com

Reasonable shipping cost. Most awesome source anywhere. Prices aren't always the best but they are fast and dependable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts