Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo....I bit off a little more than I could chew at Left Hand Canyon the other day, picked a bad line, bent my right rear LCA about 1/8" right by the frame mount on a tree root. My question is, would it make more sense just to throw on another OEM link, or spend a little extra and upgrade? I've seen several threads on folks that have built their own, but I don't have access to the tools, the skill, or the down time to make my own.

This was my first "real" time wheeling, and its my daily driver. Everything else on it is bone stock, and I don't plan on being a "avid" offroader any time soon. Plus I don't want to do anything that will greatly decrease the ride quality. For the price, the All Pro ULTIMATE links look like the route I may go. Any buddy have any feedback about these, or recommendations? As always, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have seen links bent after some light/moderate offroading. I would spend the 300 and upgrade. On the other hand there may be people willing to give you some OEM's for free or very cheap as they upgraded themselves.

I would upgrade, why risk damaging your rear end

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
i would upgrade to. toy outfitters make's a good set and it wont hurt the wallet to much IMO

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I bent one of mine a while back and plan to upgrade to the Toy Outfitters in the near future. I don't know what the OEM ones cost but I can't imagine they'd be much if any cheaper than $265.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
i would up grade to. toy outfitters make's a good set and it wont hurt the wallet to much IMO
I bent one of mine a while back and plan to upgrade to the Toy Outfitters in the near future. I don't know what the OEM ones cost but I can't imagine they'd be much if any cheaper than $265.
I will offer up a third recommendation for the toyoutfitters....... (NCFJ)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The offroad shop I use said they could get an OEM one $230, and I've seen them for $150-$200 a piece online. With pricing like that, I'm having a hard time going with the stock weiners when I can shell out $100 bucks more and get a whole new set that WON'T bend.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen links bent after some light/moderate offroading. I would spend the 300 and upgrade. On the other hand there may be people willing to give you some OEM's for free or very cheap as they upgraded themselves.

I would upgrade, why risk damaging your rear end
Thanks! I hadn't thought to look in the "for sale" section of the forum.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
We went all out and got the adjustable icon's... couldn't be happier.. oh yeah and the Outrider Suspension Armor is compatible.

I can't tell you how bad we bent our OEM on Cliff Hanger in Moab :( To get us back we ended up taking a piece of a bed frame (angled steel) to reinforce it for the rest of the weekend and to make our trip back.

I feel for ya

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We went all out and got the adjustable icon's... couldn't be happier.. oh yeah and the Outrider Suspension Armor is compatible.

I can't tell you how bad we bent our OEM on Cliff Hanger in Moab :( To get us back we ended up taking a piece of a bed frame (angled steel) to reinforce it for the rest of the weekend and to make our trip back.

I feel for ya
Thanks, Athena. You're in a league WAY above me! That stinks you guys had to crutch it back after MOAB, but given everything else you've done to your rig, I imagine the ICONs were an obvious choice. I looked briefly at the Icons, but being this is my DD and pretty much stock, I can't see parting with that much $$$. Plus with the amount of offroading I do, it would be like taking a bazooka to go duck-hunting! :lol:

Thanks for the feedback! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
:lol:

no prob... ;)

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Being in Colorado, i'd upgrade. I hear there are rocks in Colorado :)

If in florida (sand) i'd say not to make it a high priority.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Being in Colorado, i'd upgrade. I hear there are rocks in Colorado :)

If in florida (sand) i'd say not to make it a high priority.
:rofl: That was kind of my thought too! Sadly, it was actually a tree root that bent it. STUPID TREES! :flame:

Sooo....Basically, given my forum research and you guys recommendations, I'm between the All Pro Ultimate links or having Stan at toy outfitters build me a set. I'm kind of torn. I like that Stan uses a Johnny Joint, and I've seen A LOT more people endorsing his product than anyone running the All Pro Ultimates. However, I was noticing All Pro is running slighter thicker DOM tubing (1.75"x0.281" vs 1.5"x0.25"). Which is better, thicker tubing or the Johnny Joint? Both are competively and near equally priced for what I'll be using them for.

Thanks for all the inputs, guys, I really appreciate it!

Happy New Year! :cheers:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.... I'm between the All Pro Ultimate links or having Stan at toy outfitters build me a set....
Oh yeah, or I could shell out $300 and get Toytec's which look pretty much the same as toy outfitters'.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I would go with NCFJ (ToyOutfitters) for a few reasons. If you bend it, i'll paypal you 5 bucks ;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks, Athena. You're in a league WAY above me! That stinks you guys had to crutch it back after MOAB, but given everything else you've done to your rig, I imagine the ICONs were an obvious choice. I looked briefly at the Icons, but being this is my DD and pretty much stock, I can't see parting with that much $$$. Plus with the amount of offroading I do, it would be like taking a bazooka to go duck-hunting! :lol:

Thanks for the feedback! :cheers:
LOL bazooka duck hunting. That would be awesome!:clap:

Thicker tubing sounds best to me. Can you replace the ends if anything should happen to them?

D

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I would go with NCFJ (ToyOutfitters) for a few reasons. If you bend it, i'll paypal you 5 bucks ;)
Stan's a great guy to deal with... and his product is much better IMO compared to the other two companies.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I bent mine this past summer....wasn't doing much hard wheeling at all lol...but yes, the rocks in CO are killer sometimes. I went with the Toy Outfitters. They had a good price and I enjoy supporting smaller companies, than say, All Pro.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I put on the Ricochet links. Not your typical Ricochet I had bent one side a bit somewhere along the way. I will probably sell the straight one and carry the slightly bent one in case someone I'm wheeling with totally wrecks one we can get them going again.

Let me know if you want it. I don't even know what a used stock link is worth.

Edit: P.S. I can vouch for Stan at the Toy Outfitters as well.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Upgrade. The Lower links were changed when I put on the lift. AllPro. Stock bends too easy. They have rocks in Colorado?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I broke one clean in half. It was NOT a fun ride home (steer one way on accel, another when braking). Went with Toy outfitters and it won't happen again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts