Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All-
I recently purchased a 2008 FJ trail teams. Great truck all around. However, I have not been able to engage my rear locker or A-Trac. The A-Trac light never comes on and the e-locker light only flashes. I am aware that it needs to be in 4 Lo to work. I previously had an 05 Tacoma TRD offroad with the rear e-locker and never had a problem. The FJ is a standard trans with about 28k. Four high and low both seem to work, the center locker etc, all seem to function. Anything Im missing? I did a search and found it to be a fairly uncommon issue.
Thanks in advance,

Nick

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I would run the electrical, Make sure the system is in order, connections, switch, light and fuse. Hello and welcome by the way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pointers. I will go through what I can before I talk to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Congrats on the TT
We have one too Love it.

How many miles on your FJ?
Can you tell if it's ever been wheeled? Scrapes, under the truck etc?
It's a possibility, the locker hasn't ever been engaged and is a little stuck or gunked up.
It may also be a good time to change the difs/ transfer case lube.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Congrats on the TT
We have one too Love it.

How many miles on your FJ?
Can you tell if it's ever been wheeled? Scrapes, under the truck etc?
It's a possibility, the locker hasn't ever been engaged and is a little stuck or gunked up.
It may also be a good time to change the difs/ transfer case lube.
Very good idea regarless of the problem!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has 28K on it. It came with a Demello front bumper and smittybilt XRC8 winch. Either the guy was the ultimate poser or he wheeled in open areas. There are no indications that it was wheeled or taken offroad. No scrapes, scratches of any kind. The dealer gave me the invoice during negotiations showing the service they preformed which included changing the oil in the diff's which I was surprised at. In 130k with my tacoma I never had any issues with my rear locker. My low range seems to work fine, very smooth. After trying again in snow today, the center diff and VSC light dont come on either now. Quite frustrating...

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Atrac takes some loss of traction to work so it could be functioning. Does the light come up? I just had my 4x4 ecu replaced last week when my locker wouldn't function properly. It to would go in and out of 4 high and low, but no other goodies worked. If everything else works, take it to the dealer and have them take a peek. I am not sure ofthe locker has it's own fuse or not.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None of the lights come on at all. I am waiting for my owners manual to come in so I can read up on the Atrac. What kind of mpg's should I expect witht the full time 4wd? Also, Premium fuel according to the filler door?? I had the same engine in the taco and never ran premium.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
You do realize you have the ultimate fix at your fingertips. Call the Toyota dealer and make an appointment. Your drive train is covered by the 5/ 60, 000 mile warranty. Really no need for you to do all the troubleshooting. It could just be a quick diagnosis and fix by them

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello All-
I recently purchased a 2008 FJ trail teams. Great truck all around. However, I have not been able to engage my rear locker or A-Trac. The A-Trac light never comes on and the e-locker light only flashes. I am aware that it needs to be in 4 Lo to work. I previously had an 05 Tacoma TRD offroad with the rear e-locker and never had a problem. The FJ is a standard trans with about 28k. Four high and low both seem to work, the center locker etc, all seem to function. Anything Im missing? I did a search and found it to be a fairly uncommon issue.
Thanks in advance,

Nick
E-locker can be difficult/impossible to engage on solid surfaces driving straight. While the e-locker light is flashing, try make a small turn at very low speed and you should hear a "click" from the rear while it engages. The idea is that there needs to be a speed difference (or at least the potential of) between the two sides of the rear axle for the locker to engage. Sometimes things get lucky and it just engages instantly. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm planning on checking a few fuses tonight and hope to get underneath just as long as the monsoon let's up. I'm really not a big fan of taking my vehicles to dealerships for troubleshooting. Thanks for all the input

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
bring it back and make em fix it. mine has issues with disengaging so I have to swerve in reverse sometimes, but if you just bought it bring it back with that low mileage. Get everything you can before it's on your dime.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update...checked all the fuses and everything was good. Got home and tried the center lock, engaged right away. Tried the rear in LL while turning, backing up, driving in a circle, on ice, on snow, nothing. The rear diff light just flashes. I'm taking it to the dealer tonight.

·
Registered
291 Posts
its could be the sensor switches, I had both go out, just spliced in some aviator switches and never happened again

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brought it back to the dealer. The tech I talked to said he had heard of either locker not engaging. Should be interesting to hear what they come up with

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the truck back Thursday night. It turned out to be just a sensor that was bad. I will say that the dealership was great and very up front about everything. They only had it for a day and everything works as it should now. VERY relieved it wasnt anything more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad to know! Congrats.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Great news!! Enjoy your new ride.

... What kind of mpg's should I expect witht the full time 4wd? Also, Premium fuel according to the filler door?? I had the same engine in the taco and never ran premium.
Expect to see the upper teens. Premium fuel is not required as per a technical directive released by Toyota back in 2007. Rather, premium is recommended to attain maximum power and mileage, (though there is no imperical evidence I have seen that this is the case.)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

Yes, as Apexbasher stated, you don't need to run premium. I've had mine for about a year, and I believe I've put premium in her 3 or 4 times. Couldn't tell a difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts