Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is so much conflicting information about the rear locker on the MT6 FJ.

I think the confusion comes because the MT6 has an AWD system with a CENTER locker standard. I understand that.

What I don't understand is whether the REAR locker is standard on the MT6, or even available without paying over $4K for a bunch of stuff I don't want in the option packages. Some write-ups claim the rear locker is standard on the MT6. I highly doubt it.

Does anyone know? What is the reality of the rear locker availablity on the MT6 FJ? Is it really essentially a $4K plus option?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
im hoping that the rear is standard on the manual. i can dream cant i? if not - for both the MT and AT you can purchase the lockers ala carte from what i hear. so you wont have to spend the 4500 or so (convenience + upgrade 1). id suspect that ala carte the lockers may run around 1500? any which way we go im sure we'll have to pay some money for the lockers. but remember, you get a mini FJ toy with every purchase!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
other1 said:
The rear locker is standard with the MT6, according to the Toyota FJ build site.
I think you are wrong. I just went to the build site and configured an MT6 FJ without any option packages, and the Rear Locker was clearly an option. The CENTER locker is standard.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hmmm. Another confusing issue brewing with regard to traction.

In the info Toyota released last week with the base prices they claim the rear locker is standard on the 4WD MT. See below and on the home page of this site. Makes me want to start another flame thread on Toyota's FJC webpage.

The following features are standard:

Front and Rear Disc Brakes
Advanced Dual-Stage Front Driver and Passenger Airbags
Power Windows and Door Locks
Tilt Steering
AM/FM/CD Audio With 6 Speakers Including 2 Ceiling Speakers
Water Resistant Seat Fabric
Rubber-like Floor and Rear Deck Floor
Swing Type Rear Door with Flip-Up Rear Window
Rear Window Defogger with Intelligent Timer
8-Way Manually Adjusted Drivers Seat (4-Way Passenger)
Auto Limited Slip Differential (2WD Models Only)
Torsen Limited Slip Differential (4WD MT Models Only)
Rear Differential Lock (4WD MT models only and optional on all other models)

·
Registered
988 Posts
They must have changed the wording on the build site. I'm pretty sure I read that the rear locker was standard on the 4x4 MT.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
so if you purchase a manual - it comes with a rear locker as stated above. what's in it for the buyer with upgrade 1? paying an extra 2500 or so for a leather wrapped wheel and some lame stock wheels and a "premium" audio system? something's fishy about the standard locker for MT. pretty much my decision on MT/AT rests on a standard rear locker - as stated above.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
caliFJ said:
so if you purchase a manual - it comes with a rear locker as stated above. what's in it for the buyer with upgrade 1? paying an extra 2500 or so for a leather wrapped wheel and some lame stock wheels and a "premium" audio system? something's fishy about the standard locker for MT. pretty much my decision on MT/AT rests on a standard rear locker - as stated above.

shhhh don't tell them that!! then they will put it in the upgrade pack for more profit! :)

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
i would estimate the locker option as a stand alone would run about a grand, any more than that and who would buy it? you can get an ARB installed for about that much, or less if you have the skill to do it yourself.

personally, if i have to buy an option package for 4500 to get the rear locker in just going to go aftermarket and to hell with the warranty. If the diff breaks i can use the 3500 i saved not buying the package to fix it; a couple times even...

i think a good deal of the confusion about the locker stems from the fact that the full-time 4wd on the MT comes with a center diff lock standard. Im curious to see what comes of this and if it comes with the rear locker as well, especially considering that the MT is the least expensive drivetrain option.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Rear Locking Diff is standard on the Manual ONLY. It is an option on everything else.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Percy said:
Rear Locking Diff is standard on the Manual ONLY. It is an option on everything else.
which is precisely why i am buying a MT and probably going to wait awhile to get it. my salesman says there are 80 FREAKIN PEOPLE ON THE LIST - stevens creek toyota in siliCONE valley. however he says they're a volume dealership and i should have my FJ in about 2-3 months. yikes....but im willing to wait if that means saving myself 2500 or so for rear lockers and painted plastic door inserts.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The article in "4wd Toyota Owners" magazine - yeah, dave zartman yada yada....

That told of the trip over Rubicon said that in a nutshell they needed Trac and the locking diff to make it. That in some instances it was a better option to have the rear locked and in some instances it was TRAC that got the beast through it. I know that doesn't help much....

They also stated that they used trac in situations where wheel spin would have bounced the truck off of a rock or caused other types of havoc. Primarily they stuck with the rear locked. That should clear things up a bit more.

Having both is an added bonus if you intend on beating the ever-livin' crap out of your $30K machine. Personally, aside from camping and finding the VERY BEST fishin' hole and camp site... this truck will be babied. Of course, as soon as I find that wide open desert trail where I can do over a 100 without recourse... that opens a whole new discussion.

·
Registered
390 Posts
illFJC said:
Yes, that is correct.

Percy rocks.
Let me understand this correctly:

The base 2WD Auto model lists for $21,710 and the rear locking differential is OPTIONAL;

The base 4WD 6-speed lists for $22,890 and a locking rear differential is STANDARD?

That makes the $1,180 4WD premium AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN!!! Anyone who is absolutely positive about this please respond.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
mini2nut said:

The base 2WD Auto model lists for $21,710 and the rear locking differential is OPTIONAL;

The base 4WD 6-speed lists for $22,890 and a locking rear differential is STANDARD?

That makes the $1,180 4WD premium AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN!!! Anyone who is absolutely positive about this please respond.

That is correct. Also, the 2wd comes with an "automatic limited slip differential feature". So this may help balance the price difference/ comparison.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
mini2nut said:

is a good deal. im not a huge fan of MT - but it will save me money and also add to the coolness factor IMO. however, realize production of MT will be lower than AT....

4702 4x2 V6 A/T - 15%
4703 4X4 V6 M/T - 5%
4704 4X4 V6 A/T - 80%

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't understand the EXTREMELY limited production of the 6 speed...I know there are tons of people out there that want the manual for the coolness alone. WHY ONLY 5 PERCENT?? Bah...whatever, bring on the satiny green.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'd be willing to bet those production numbers aren't accurate. They were early figures. There will be more 4x4MT made than 2x4's . At least I hope that's the case.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chalk the production numbers up to moronic middle management who live in urban zones and don't know their dipstick from their....

Xterra had the same problem last year. Off Road MT6 versions disappeared immediately. For '06, they bumped the MT6 production dramatically.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts