Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did the A-Trac hack last November it worked great until last weekend. I figured the the t-tap I was using just didn't bite enough so I said screw it and I soldered it together and it works fine except that the rear locker takes a bit of time to engage.

I don't believe that the slow locker engage is a new issue. I have noticed that over time that the rear locker doesn't like to engage at the push of a button. It tends to take a minute or two for the dash light to stop flashing and go solid I can hear something click which I assume is the the relay for the locker solenoid. It also takes a few seconds and or feet for the locker to disengage.

This is my first rig with a e-locker I am used to ARB's and Detroit lockers, ARB's are instantaneous as long as you have the air pressure built up.

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
the locker won't engage or dis engage unless the computer says it ok to do so....it could take a few seconds....back up and roll forward if you have to

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was in a spot where traction was limited and Atrac was not getting it (Pre hack). The locker refused to engage, so I tried it again w/o it. It sucked.

After I smacked my rear bumper on a rock, the thing engaged.
This spot has an easy go around, I just got impatient and tried it w/o atrac, and the locker had not engaged yet. Operator error 100%

What I learned from this (besides getting the hack done) is to put the locker on before you need it. Not while on the obstacle.

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
I was in a spot where traction was limited and Atrac was not getting it (Pre hack). The locker refused to engage, so I tried it again w/o it. It sucked.

After I smacked my rear bumper on a rock, the thing engaged.
This spot has an easy go around, I just got impatient and tried it w/o atrac, and the locker had not engaged yet. Operator error 100%

What I learned from this (besides getting the hack done) is to put the locker on before you need it. Not while on the obstacle.

you might have wanted to engage all your toys BEFORE attemting that climb...mid trip is a little too late...with locker and A-trac that would have been an easy climb

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
mine has been doing the same thing lately. on pavement, i cant get it to engage. i am going to play with it more tomarrow so we'll see what it does off pavement.

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
mine has been doing the same thing lately. on pavement, i cant get it to engage. i am going to play with it more tomarrow so we'll see what it does off pavement.
STOP....don't do it on the pavement!!!!

and email me if you are still lookin' for a job

·
Registered
449 Posts
mine engages fine instantly when i push button

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
the locker splines may not be lined up when you engage the button, so the locker will not engage until they are. Experience seems to suggest that weaving back and forth on the trail will alter the rotation speed of the rear wheels with respect to each other enough to cause spline alignment and engage the locker.

Disengagement requires there to be relatively little differential torque between the wheels so the splines can disengage. Again, just rock the steering wheel back and forth a little and it will disengage.

·
Registered
835 Posts
you might have wanted to engage all your toys BEFORE attemting that climb...mid trip is a little too late...with locker and A-trac that would have been an easy climb

Absolutely operator error...However;

1. It was before I did the hack, so I only had one or the other.

2. I tried it with Atrac before backing up and switching to the locker.

3. I was back into the obstacle and still waiting for the locker to lock when I gave up on it, and decided to run it anyways. (I should have backed up again and tried to get the locker to come on again).

Live and learn.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have messed with the locker a little bit and since I was new to e lockers the book says it may take a few seconds to line up. That is not a quote but the gist of it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
the locker splines may not be lined up when you engage the button, so the locker will not engage until they are. Experience seems to suggest that weaving back and forth on the trail will alter the rotation speed of the rear wheels with respect to each other enough to cause spline alignment and engage the locker.
Well said, exactly what I was going to post. :)

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
First off, the elocker needs "permission" in the form of a switch being contacted inside your transfer case by the shifting mechanism. If you're not in 4 low, it won't be allowed to activate. If you want to be able to run it in 4 high for some reason, or in 2wd, you could hack the switch with little difficulty, but I personally don't have any use for that. Perhaps people who want to drag race their FJ's or tow big boats up wet ramps might... I don't know.

Secondly, the elocker involves two gear mechanisms that are linked, one each, to the rear axle shafts. One is fixed and the other can slide. The slider is spring loaded to open away, and closes down to engagement based on the solenoid-like action of the electric mechanism. When they are interlocked, the right and left axle shafts twist as one, and the differential gears are essentially bypassed. The mechanism becomes a "spool".

The problem is that there is no guarantee that when you hit the switch, the gear teeth are lined up to engage. They are just as likely to come together tooth-on-tooth as they are tooth-on-valley (the latter being how it has to happen for the mechanism to "click"). If it comes together tooth-on-tooth, then it will remain NOT ENGAGED until one axle shaft rotates relative to the other.

The condition that causes one axle shaft to rotate relative to the other is TURNING.

Engage the locker on good ground. If it doesn't engage immediately, drive forward or backward IN A TURN. As soon as you get one rear wheel to rotate a bit more or less than the other, you'll hear it click in.

·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback.

I was overanalyzing a problem I didn't have, and being used to air lockers. It seemed as if I had a problem with my rear locker.

This all stemmed from my A-Trac hack failing due to a t-tap that didn't cut into the wire very well. The funny thing is that it worked for about 9 months before failing, must have been the drive back and forth to Ouray that knocked it out of kilter. I ended up hacking the wiring apart and soldering longer jumpers inline I have to say that it looks cleaner now.

I was trying to test everything and it all seemed very slow to engage. I tried the turn my wheels while moving forward and that did the trick. I just need to remember this on the trail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts