Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How fast have you held speed w/ rear locked. I think i read some where 5mph was it. I have gone much faster for short stince, like thru the whoops on sand hwy. to get to the back of pismo. I have held maybe 15/20mph for longer on sand wash roads and duning. Am i hurting my fj

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
You haven't hurt your FJ

I believe the Prerunner Tacoma Off-road package truck with factory diff lock automatically disconnects at 30 MPH.

I believe the theme of the 5MPH warning is so noobs don't drive off the trail because steering is altered with the rear diff locked.

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
You haven't hurt your FJ

I believe the Prerunner Tacoma Off-road package truck with factory diff lock automatically disconnect at 30 MPH.

I beleive the theme of the 5MPH warning is so noobs don't drive off the trail because steering is altered with the rear diff locked.
As usual, Rover is spot-on! Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
The little slip on your visor will tell you 5MPH and maybe in the manual as well. That's for newbs!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply. makes since. the 4x2 aired down worked good/ok. i pull a 12 foot enclosed trailer and we camp about 150/200 ft into the deep stuff. keeping the speed up is key with the 4x2 trailer pull. once close i have the ford guys adjust me in to postion. once unhooked it's diffently a crazy ride. speeds around 25, drifting style turns, stopping only on downhills, and i not affraid to ask for a tug out. i keep the strap hooked up and thrown thru the window. we have done pismo a couple of times as well as the oregon coast dunes.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I've gone as fast as 70mph with the rear locker on. No issues at all. The 5 mph limit toyota says is a joke.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
If you say so.:) Plus the steering being altered is half the fun of having a locker. :D

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Bout 30 MPH on a steep hill climb in loose stuff but thats about all the fastest I've gone

·
Registered
17 Posts
Call me crazy but I had an F150 talk me into racing him on a 1/4 mile and I learned the Fj ran the best with the Rear Diff locked. I hit about 78 mph at my peak speed. I wouldn't recommend doing it very often. The Diff lock does not automatically Unlock at a certain speed. With the rear Diff locked and the correct RPM pre stage the Fj is a very fast machine. Bone stock motor on 33s ran a 13.3 1/4 mile!!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Prepare your flame shields... Haha

I'm sure you will be told that was not a good thing to do. Mainly because you much have been in 4lo to have it locked. Unless you did the hack...

I hate to be a been with the terms, but what do you mean by proper RPM

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Call me crazy but I had an F150 talk me into racing him on a 1/4 mile and I learned the Fj ran the best with the Rear Diff locked. I hit about 78 mph at my peak speed. I wouldn't recommend doing it very often. The Diff lock does not automatically Unlock at a certain speed. With the rear Diff locked and the correct RPM pre stage the Fj is a very fast machine. Bone stock motor on 33s ran a 13.3 1/4 mile!!
Do you mean a 13.3 1/8 mile or is 13.3 a typo? I don't think its possible to run a 13.3 1/4 mile in an FJ with a stock motor. Are you supercharged?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts