Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a hard core off-roader (yet). I pre-ordered an FJ because I drive every day for work visiting gas well sites in WV and my Honda Element isn't coming close to cutting it. Here's my question:
What is a rear locker? When will I use it?

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
it's a locker where you store things :)

no no it's a locking rear differential.....it's for places where you might get stuck so it'd be better to have two wheels spinning at the same speed, not one wheel spinning with the other not spinning at all (as would happen in a 4wd truck or any car w/ a differential)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
it's a locker where you store things :)

no no it's a locking rear differential.....it's for places where you might get stuck so it'd be better to have two wheels spinning at the same speed, not one wheel spinning with the other not spinning at all (as would happen in a 4wd truck or any car w/ a differential)

Good answer Bostonian.

Depending on your situation, it's one of those features you may never use, but when the time does come, you'll thank God you have it. ;) Trust me , it can make the difference of being stuck and having someone else tow you out of a bad spot(making you look like a punk) or manhandling that beast out of a bad situation...
I look back when I first started off-roading and I used to used it all the time. With experience, i can say I don't depend on it now, but it's nice to have !!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Slab said:
I'm not a hard core off-roader (yet). I pre-ordered an FJ because I drive every day for work visiting gas well sites in WV and my Honda Element isn't coming close to cutting it. Here's my question:
Differential locks (or lockers as they are most commonly referred to in the off-road world), whether they be electrical, mechanical or air actuated, guarantee equal wheel speed on all 4 wheels (provided you have lockers in both the front a rear differentials) resulting in the prevention of spinning wheels. Lockers should be used to prevent getting stuck...they might not work to get you out of stuck situations however. They should be engaged before the situation arises!

·
Registered
790 Posts
On the new FJ, how will the locker be engaged?

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
Differential locks (or lockers as they are most commonly referred to in the off-road world), whether they be electrical, mechanical or air actuated, guarantee equal wheel speed on all 4 wheels (provided you have lockers in both the front a rear differentials) resulting in the prevention of spinning wheels. Lockers should be used to prevent getting stuck...they might not work to get you out of stuck situations however. They should be engaged before the situation arises!
You still might have slipping wheels, just not one per axle. No more "one wheel wonder". If one is off the ground, the other will still spin too. Just watch the movie "My Cousin Vinnie", they have a good explaination of a LSD (limited slip differential) in there:D

Or this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential10.htm

·
Registered
353 Posts
Of course the DL is only good at 5mph and below. ATC may be of more use: I don't know what the maximum speed for ATC is.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The rear locker can only be engaged in L4 and at a speed lower then 5MPH but will stay engaged until turned off or shifted into H4 or H2.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Too bad it thinks for you:mad: It would be lots of fun to be doing doughnuts in the snow in 2 WD with the rear locker on:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Slab said:
Where in West Virginia? I noticed on your Element, NY plates.

·
Registered
53 Posts
coolcruiser said:
The rear locker can only be engaged in L4 and at a speed lower then 5MPH but will stay engaged until turned off or shifted into H4 or H2.
The tacoma guys (tundra solutions)are working on a rewire so you can engage it when you like.

·
Registered
208 Posts
NSCruiser said:
The tacoma guys (tundra solutions)are working on a rewire so you can engage it when you like.
I'v alrady got a way to engage it when I want. Now I'm working on a way to keep A-Trac on as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
coolcruiser said:
I'v alrady got a way to engage it when I want. Now I'm working on a way to keep A-Trac on as well.
are you going to share this with us? please!!! (the grey wire mod for the pre 2005 Tacomas, will not work on the new ones)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Why does it seem like my FJ is more complicated to use these functions than military hmmvs? I haven't actually got to use FJ's functions, but when I was in the army about 10 yrs ago, I can remember all I had to do was stomp on break lightly/push gas lightly and differential would kick in.

·
Registered
765 Posts
What ratio is the axle on the FJ in case of maybe I install an e-locker in the future. Does the TRD e-locker fits to the FJ? Are the wires still there to connnect the locker even if there's no diff locker?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts