Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I have noticed that when putting my Fj in 4L and engaging the rear locking diff button the bulb flashes for what seems to be a few minutes before going solid.... I was told by buddies its normal because I have not used it to often.

Is this correct? should it flash for a few minutes or should the bulb be solid right off the start.....also does the rear locking diff engage even though the bulb is flashing? or do I have to sit and wait for it to go solid......If I am in the thick of it, it would kind of suck to have to use the rear diff but sit there till it stops blinking.

any help greatly appreciated

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Roll forward while waiting....and turn back and forth......the rear axle splines need to match up before it locks....and NO..it's not locked untill the light is on solid....sitting still and waiting won't do you any good.....and as far as being in a pickle before turning it on....not a good move....engage it BEFORE going into something were you MIGHT need it....and turn it off as soon as you don't need it.....again...rolling and turning to remove any binding so It disengages.....

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Roll forward while waiting....and turn back and forth......the rear axle splines need to match up before it locks....and NO..it's not locked untill the light is on solid....sitting still and waiting won't do you any good.....and as far as being in a pickle before turning it on....not a good move....engage it BEFORE going into something were you MIGHT need it....and turn it off as soon as you don't need it.....again...rolling and turning to remove any binding so It disengages.....
x2 on what Homedad said. I may offer one other suggestion, when you roll forward slowly, turn the wheel back and forth about 1/4 turn slowly. This helps in locking and unlocking. I am pretty sure i read that in the manual.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
That's correct, but their talking about trying to lock or unlock it.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
yup on any solid ground like concrete or asphalt you never want to turn while locked. sand or dirt or gravel is fine. Most the time you can get it to lock just moving forward or backward, but if that doesn't work then do the swerving till it locks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts