Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas on what you can put in the rear part of the roof rack besides another spare tire?

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
An oem rack? I dont know if I'd put spare tire up there. Not sure if the oem rack crossbars could handle that load.... but never tried. I'd probably stick to light camping gear or luggage for the most part.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yeah I don't think the cross bars will handle that much weight either. Just put whatever junk you want up there, just make sure it isn't too heavy. If it does have some weight make sure it has a large enough foot print to distribute the weight.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I've seen guys mount Jerry cans up there...

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Anyone have any ideas on what you can put in the rear part of the roof rack besides another spare tire?
Do you have something specific in mind? I just used it this afternoon to transport some furniture from Ikea. I may actually have my wife excited about the prospect of an upgraded roof rack! :clap: A nice "practical" mod.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Hi Lift

·
Registered
599 Posts
An oem rack? I dont know if I'd put spare tire up there. Not sure if the oem rack crossbars could handle that load.... but never tried. I'd probably stick to light camping gear or luggage for the most part.
I have a 50 pound 6 year old (yes he's huge) who regularly sits/stands/lies down on just one of those cross bars...with very little flex in the cross bar. I wouldn't hesitate to lay a spare up on them. I would totally hesitate in trying to lift one up there, however. :freak5:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Im sorry, but what are those? Some kind'a cell...water...fuel...fit perfectly whatever they are.
:cheers:
Those are the Expedition One water and fuel 4.5 gal cans.
("goat balls" LOL)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Those look like rotex fuel and water cans, I mounted two Hella Ff75 lights on my roof rack bars

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Those are the Expedition One water and fuel 4.5 gal cans.
("goat balls" LOL)
Dude! Those cans are bad-ass. :rocker:
Went to the Expedition One website, and what did I find...“Due to new EPA regulations, FUEL packs are not currently available for sale in the USA”...what the hell!

Weak.:mecry:

Thats okay, I can wait..."We are in the process of tooling up our machinery to make the new EPA compliant cans, please watch our website for updates on availability":simmadown:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dude! Those cans are bad-ass. :rocker:
Went to the Expedition One website, and what did I find...“Due to new EPA regulations, FUEL packs are not currently available for sale in the USA”...what the hell!

Weak.:mecry:

Thats okay, I can wait..."We are in the process of tooling up our machinery to make the new EPA compliant cans, please watch our website for updates on availability":simmadown:
I have seen them for sale other places. My question is how are they secured? I do not see and straps or brackets?

Found this link for them...http://www.rotopax.com/

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Rotopax are smaller, linkable cans with their own attachment system. Probably an advantage because 4.5 gal is a bit heavy handling but I prefer the fit up top.
My Expeds. are attached with velcro straps. Very secure.
The red can (gas) is not CARB (biggest Billion dollar waste Calif has) compliant, so it's my own private rebellion.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The cross bars can hold a static load just fine, it's when you start bouncing around off road the weight limits need to be respected. I have had a load of firewood and a duffle bag up top that just had some camping gear in it. When I had that load up there I watched as a friend was backing my truck up on a pretty mild FS road. There was a lot of flex in the bars.

I could only imagine that with a spare tire up there bouncing around you risk coming in contact with the roof/breaking the plastic retainer "thingies" on the bar ends.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have all four of my crossbars in the back, and the Bajarack drop in basket up front.

I just got back from a weekend of camping and had the rear loaded with firewood, gear, and sleeping bags and bungee'd it all down. Worked like a champ.

Pretty nice how it fits in there with the Baja add-on...almost have an entire length rack (except for the ONE bar in the middle) at the end of the Bajarack.

Anyway, I am about 200lbs and I have crawled around on top of the truck a lot and I would trust the cross bars if close together with almost my weight on-road, and a little less offroad.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I have seen them for sale other places. My question is how are they secured? I do not see and straps or brackets?

Found this link for them...Fuel Cans : Gas Pack : Gasoline Containers : RotopaX.com
These are just cool! :cheers:

I really dig the latch/locking system and convenient low profile form…makes them very versatile. I can't believe I haven't seen these things before...maybe I have and just never noticed them. In any case, I've added a set to my "must have" list of future buys.

Anyone know how strong they are? I'm assuming they're the same thickness/material as regular plastic gas containers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts