Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went out to fold down my rear seats and the passenger side rear bottom won't release. There's zero play in the lock release strap, it doesn't budge at all.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
push the bottom seat cushion in with your knee and it should release.

·
Admin
7,329 Posts
Strap?
Mine is a button on the top... the strap at the base lifts the seat cushion which you need to do before you can fold down the seat-back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Was at the local Toyota dealership a few days ago to test drive an FJ (now looking at a used one). Even the salesman--who seemed pretty familiar with FJs--couldn't get the passenger side seat to flip up. He had to climb in from the driver's side and lift from there. Evidently the catch is misaligned on these things.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Weird - I never had a problem with mine, but I'm glad to know what the solution is if it ever happens to me. In fact, my seat cushion doesn't feel like it "locks" at all. I can just pull up on the strap and it comes right up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the same problem on my '12

Reactions: algonaman

·
Premium Member
16,661 Posts
My '07 has no issues with the rear seats. :wave:

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Weird - I never had a problem with mine, but I'm glad to know what the solution is if it ever happens to me. In fact, my seat cushion doesn't feel like it "locks" at all. I can just pull up on the strap and it comes right up.
Same. My cushions don't lock at all.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I have only owned my FJ for under two months, so there are still small issues and a steep learning curve. Just now vacuuming out what looked like several pounds of sand in the FJ today after ferrying 16 people back and forth over the local dunes for a party and cookout a couple of days ago, (Could make a rug out of the Black hair under the seats from my Labrador Retriever too). I found that I couldn't lift the 60 half of the back seat. So I came inside to look at the trusty forum and here was the answer! Thank you! While looking for it I also found an answer to my driver seat adjustment issue, (it needs to be readjusted or pumped frequently).

Thanks to all for being here, posting, saving me, and many others countless hours of frustration.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah my passenger side rear seat is like that but wasn't always although my fj is only 5 months old. It took me a few to figure it out, to push towards the rear on the bottom cushion. But now I don't mind it and wish the drivers side was like that too weather it's a flaw or not. Because when in the gnar I remember someone asking if there was a mod to keep the seats from folding forward due to the forces of gravity and braking when crawling down some rocks. He had his dog in the back and the dog was getting catapulted by the seats folding forward.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
never an issue with the seats, but the headrests are a PITA to get out ...
:cheers:

·
Admin
7,329 Posts
Are guys not putting the seats back together correctly after removing the seat bottoms? It can be a bit tricky getting it into the correct slots and tightening the red "bolt".

Mine has no movement front to back, only up when I want it to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my 3rd FJ. I've owned a 2008, and two 2014s. This latest 2014 that I've had almost a year now - has this issue. I've never had an issue folding my seats down in the past, but I fight with this one forever, ranking on it and ranking on it, until finally after many minutes it will usually give. I'm excited to use this knee to cushion method to see if it will work! Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts