Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been itching to do something for/with/to the FJ, and everything I've ordered is taking forever to get here. So I decided to mock up a storage compartment in the back. I want it to look stock or at least like toyota might have purposely pit it there. I plan on having a combo cam lock and magnetic enclosure to keep it shut. I know it'll just be plywood and easy to break into etc... but I figured I would at least like to have some semblance of a lockbox.

I plan to start assembly this weekend. Rough Dims will be 6x7x20.

Just thought I would share!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Are you planning to mount it approximately where it is now or to do something else? Nice idea!

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
How are you going to attach it to the vehicle? If you are planning on going through the plastic shelf you will want to reinforce the plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
If you could angle the two ends to match the slope of the rear seat and the back panel, then a snug fit may help to secure it better. Like Joeg180 said, the plastic will need reinforcement. To only screw it to the plastic would scare me on the interstate. If you made it taller then you could remove the plastic cargo ties and take advantage of the metal that the plastic ties are screwed into and attach the box to them as well. You could then apply the ties to the outside of the box or replace them with metal ones. I like your idea!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of temporarily using a bunch of sheets of velcro on the bottom and sides to make sure I like it before I start drilling...commitment issues...

If I would do a more permanent solution, I would probably use carriage bolts and washers, maybe even have a piece of wood to support the underside of the plastic.

As far as using the upper hooks, I like that idea! I already have the pieces cut out, so I may just test out the shorter one for a bit. Also, I wasn't really sure what the hooks were for and didn't want to cover them up if I needed them.

Thanks for the comments!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you could angle the two ends to match the slope of the rear seat and the back panel, then a snug fit may help to secure it better. Like Joeg180 said, the plastic will need reinforcement. To only screw it to the plastic would scare me on the interstate. If you made it taller then you could remove the plastic cargo ties and take advantage of the metal that the plastic ties are screwed into and attach the box to them as well. You could then apply the ties to the outside of the box or replace them with metal ones. I like your idea!
As far as the matching goes, I plan on having the back, side and bottom matching the plastic panels. The front for this version will just have a flat face.

I'ts hard to do a computer rendering over top of a picture without wasting too much time!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Make it taller, build it out of fiberglass so you can get the form and gain some storage space, and bolt it in where the cargo ties are (6mm bolts).

At least, that's how I do it...

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Just a guess, but I bet they meant "I'd"

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Ah ha!. That is awesome!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Be easiy to mount a 30 cal ammo can there. it would save the trouble of building the box. they have plastic versions too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I started with construction on the box V1. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the dimensions, also the cost of the project. So far I'm at a total of $0.00. It's all scrap wood that was in the dumpster, and the hardware was given to me as well, which is pretty sweet too!

But, yeah, it's pretty sturdy, fits perfectly in the spot, and fits everything inside that I want in there. I don't have any tow ropes or anything of the sort, but it fits my socket set, screwdrivers, vise grips, box cutter etc.

I also have a foam sheet on the bottom to keep things from rattling, and a magnetic enclosure. Don't have the lock yet, but I have a feeling I'll have to pony up some cash for that:mecry:... But I think I can swing the couple bucks!

Now to bondo some and paint!

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I slapped a quick coat of paint on the box. Turned out ok... Still waiting for the lock, but I like how it fits my stuff perfectly and is mostly out of the way, and still has some room for more goodies.

I'd like to spray some bed liner on like Golf Echo did, but it's too cold to spray outside, and would rather not gas out my apartment!

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I slapped a quick coat of paint on the box. Turned out ok... Still waiting for the lock, but I like how it fits my stuff perfectly and is mostly out of the way, and still has some room for more goodies.

I'd like to spray some bed liner on like Golf Echo did, but it's too cold to spray outside, and would rather not gas out my apartment!
I also wish I would have noticed the angle on the rear door side, it matches up with all the other sides, but I dropped the ball there...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts