Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new '11 FJ yesterday. I have the back up camera but I was reading about the "Rear sonar Sensors"- however i tried to test it and it did not beep at all when i came near an object.

I'm wondering if they are on my truck... is there a way to confirm if they are on your truck or not?

I understand that they don't always work that well unless you are very close to something like a flat wall- but I want to confirm that I have them at all first.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
distances for the alert tones are in the manual.
FWIW i was unable to hear the cabin beep when standing behind my FJ but a friend inside confirmed the alert.
check to make sure the button is depressed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just got my new '11 FJ yesterday. I have the back up camera but I was reading about the "Rear sonar Sensors"- however i tried to test it and it did not beep at all when i came near an object.

I'm wondering if they are on my truck... is there a way to confirm if they are on your truck or not?

I understand that they don't always work that well unless you are very close to something like a flat wall- but I want to confirm that I have them at all first.
You might want to confirm this with your dealership, but 2010-2011, does not have a rear sensor. You can easily check this. Look at the bumper, if you have one, there will be two round sensors on the bumper,or check the switches on the dash below the radio. Apparently, the camera replaces the sensor for the 2010 & 2011 models, although, it would be nice to have both.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You might want to confirm this with your dealership, but 2010-2011, does not have a rear sensor. You can easily check this. Look at the bumper, if you have one, there will be two round sensors on the bumper,or check the switches on the dash below the radio. Apparently, the camera replaces the sensor for the 2010 & 2011 models, although, it would be nice to have both.
My 2010 has the camera and sensor. However, you need to push to button (in the subwoofer button area) to activate. :wave:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I think everybody who posted above covered all the issues...I will add this though...I once backed up to a small 2" diameter light post and for some reason my sensor did not pick it up....so back up to a wall or hedge to make sure.And yes I damaged my tupper ware.

·
Registered
669 Posts
No button no sensor.... I love the sensor, the other night three kids walked up behind the FJ when in reverse. I never seen then but the sensor did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah... my '11 doesn not have them... so I guess like the other poster said- it must have been replaced by the back up camera. The back up camera works reasonably well.... but it still seems tricky to get used to... I still can't use it to back up into parking spaces or anything.

I rode in a new Ford Cruze the other day... and they had amber flashing lights that would illuminate in the driver and passenger side mirrors whenever something entered your blind spot area. For instance if your on the interstate and someone is passing you... they would start blinking while the car was in your blind spot.... which eliminates some of the rubbernecking you have to do especially in a car like the FJ. I am not sure if any of the FJ's have this but I definitely think they should look into it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Canadian configurations may be different than US configurations. In the US for 2011 the Upgrade Package models have the rear sensors. In the end this will be a large percentage of the units sold, but many of the first shipments have been base models with TRD or Off-Road packages.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 2010 TT-SE.............. it has the back-up camera, but there are "no" sensors.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I love my backup sensors. I'd rather have them than a camera or does the camera give a signal when too close?. Both would be nice though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts