Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,
I didn't get the 8 or 9 speaker set up in my FJ, as I knew I wouldn't like the factory set up and want to replace it. I don't ge paid in summer so money is tight, thought I would start with rear speakers since there are none, then do front after summer. I got a set of 4" Polks for rear. They fit fine, so that is not an issue.

Not sure how to mount them. I have seen members just cut a hole in blank cover and mount speaker. Not sure how stable that would be and would be easy for someone to steal them.

Any suggestions on how to mount?

Can anyone post pic of what factory mount looks like? Maybe I could build one.

Thanks in advance for any help, apolagize if this was already posted. I did a search and nothing came up, but could have missed it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not sure how to mount them. I have seen members just cut a hole in blank cover and mount speaker. Not sure how stable that would be and would be easy for someone to steal them.

Any suggestions on how to mount?
Do you mean the speakers in the pillars in the rear cargo area? If so, those are easy to mount. There are blank covers in place now, just pop them off and use the existing holes to mount your speakers. You may need to add some spacers (I used nylon screws and washers) behind the speakers on the mounting screws to keep the back of the speakers from contacting the bare metal in the mounting cavity.

For covers, you can order OEM speaker covers from several of the supporting vendors on here [[email protected] has them for about $40/pr) or you could fabricate your own by cutting holes in your blank covers and mounting a grill on top. The OEM approach looks better IMO.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I just cut a hole in blank cover and mounted to that. Mine didn't have any existing holes or mount to attach to and speakers were too deep to mount to metal.

When I visit my parents next, I will construct a speaker pod using a template I made up and mount to metal behind blank cover. Then I will order the factory covers with grills.

Thanks to those that repsonded. Also if anyone wants to install speakers in back pillar without cutting wires, the harness number is 72-8105 from metra. However B.B. and C.C don't normally have that one in stock.

You can also use 120 71-040 from crutchfield
Toyota Speaker Harnesses 1995-up, speaker adapter plugs at Crutchfield.com

I know some one posted it before, but it didn't come up in my search, so I thought I would post it again for anyone interested. Took all of 3 minutes to hook up new speakers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
:rocker:

Love this, but I am trying to hide them behind the speaker covers. I already cut my blanks (6 speaker setup) and mounted them with no backing (like most others). I hate the sound, and am not terribly fond of the look.

I'd like to hide them behind the 8/9 speaker rear covers I ordered from TRD source. Maybe using your method and routering your mdf mounts so the speakers recess into them?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sounds like a plan. There's not much depth there, though, it's going to be pretty tight to make it fit. You'll have to grind or otherwise trim the tunnel off the back of the factory grilles. And only about 1/2 of the speaker's surface will be talking to open air, because the openings in the factory grilles are quite a bit smaller than the speaker cones.

I considered doing that also, but decided eventually the risk to the sound was too great and so I mounted them external as shown in the thread referenced above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts