Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey what's up! I have an '07 cruiser with icon coilovers in the front and currently stock springs with an inch and a half spacer lift and Gabriel shocks in the rear. It's about 2" lift in the front and level in the back.

The rear setup I feel is due for an upgrade. When I first installed the spacer lift about 6 months ago it was slightly raked in the back which I like. Now it has sagged to just barely level after I mounted a 285/70/17 spare. It was only about 12 extra pounds but I guess with it hangi6off the back it made a difference.

The issue is when I load the rear with weight the rear suspension seems like there is no travel in the rear when hitting bumps.

What rear springs should I get to accomplish a little bit of rake in the rear?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
"Rake" is the angle of the vehicle frame relative to the ground; there is no such thing as "front rake" or "rear rake".

I think what you are looking for is some additional lift (or ride height) at the rear suspension, which will increase the positive rake (front end lower than the rear end).

To show the current rake (or lack of it) most clearly, provide a photo of the vehicle parked on a dead flat surface, from far enough away that the camera lens doesn't introduce any distortion.

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I wanted to use OME ARB what number would you guys suggest. Thinking medium duty is the right spring. What's the difference between the numbers with E on the end vs no E? Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think these will give you the lift and improved ride you seek.

Sounds like me, my FJ came with a rear spacer on the stock spring and it was way too soft so I changed to the Icon 2" springs. These linked above are the ones you want unless you are really loaded up. You don't need something like the OME heavy spring until you add a ton of weight. ( i'm talking +300LBS, bumper, etc)

The Icon 2" is slightly stiffer than the stock springs and will sag less without being overly stiff. On my FJ with the stock rear bumper the rear was slightly higher than the front after the change. Now I have an Exp. one rear bumper and it's basically level. It doesn't sag excessively anymore when loaded up either. Your fronts will have enough adjustment to go up or down if needed assuming they're just stock Icon coilovers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
895's in and the sag is gone. Sitting with about 3/4" of rake now. Drives great! Thinking about just leaving the Gabriel Ultra shocks in there because I like the ride it gives now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took it on a dirt road today with some whoops and really surprised by how great it feels with new springs and older cheap shocks. I have the 5100s just really don't want to fix it if it ain't broke at this point......hmmmm

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yup don't put those 5100's in. I have the 895E with 5100's and that was a big mistake in my opinion. The shocks are just to damb stiff. I should of gone with OME nitro charger or equivalent. If you have a bunch of weight like rear aftermarket bumper and a storage system then they might be fine but not empty. Again my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear, been out again and these Gabriel Ultras are pretty good, there is no bouncing from the springs so they are clearly dampening them effectively.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the exact same issue , back is just a tad lower than the front, like 1/4 inch empty, how hard is it to replace the coil springs? Did you have to have any special tools?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the exact same issue , back is just a tad lower than the front, like 1/4 inch empty, how hard is it to replace the coil springs? Did you have to have any special tools?

No special tools, but having a couple of jacks is very helpful. Remove the brake line mounts/ bracket on the axle/diff to give you more room. There are some good videos on YouTube, watch a few of them including for 4runners as they are mostly the same.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks, I was just doing that, I’m wondering if I can use a spring compression tool to get the Stock spring out and the new spring in without having to take the shock mount , sway bar link, etc .
If I get both rear tires in the air by jacking and getting Jack stands under the frame rails, then compress one spring take it out , use the tool to put the new one in. Then do the other side.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I was just doing that, I’m wondering if I can use a spring compression tool to get the Stock spring out and the new spring in without having to take the shock mount , tie rod , etc .
get both rear tires in the air by jacking and getting Jack stands under the frame rails, then compress one spring take it out , use the tool to put the new one in. Then do the other side.

You could but the risk is hardly worth the reward imo. It's really not more than a couple hour job and that's taking your time. It may seem a bit intimidating but it's really actually easy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Copy That. one more question, if the new rear springs push the body up 1.5 -2 inches, are there any alignment requirements post install?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts