Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear storage area is small and because of that, people who use their FJ Cruisers for off-road adventures and camping have found that the four hard points found behind the rear passenger seats and just in front of the back door of the FJ are useful - but more hard points would be very useful.

Keeping gear in place requires the use of cinch straps or other strapping because of normal bouncing in off-road environments. Adding 4 more hard points (two on each rear bulkhead in the cargo area) would allow gear to be properly lashed down for rough travel.

I understand that adding hard points would require some structural modifications and it might not be cost-effective for Toyota to do this.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The rear storage area is small and because of that, people who use their FJ Cruisers for off-road adventures and camping have found that the four hard points found behind the rear passenger seats and just in front of the back door of the FJ are useful - but more hard points would be very useful.

Keeping gear in place requires the use of cinch straps or other strapping because of normal bouncing in off-road environments. Adding 4 more hard points (two on each rear bulkhead in the cargo area) would allow gear to be properly lashed down for rough travel.

I understand that adding hard points would require some structural modifications and it might not be cost-effective for Toyota to do this.
X2, I'd add a couple to the floor between the others as well.

Some sort of latch to hold the seat backs in place when down would also help in that direction. If you use the tie downs made for a baby seat found on the backs of the seats the seat back can bounce up on rough rides.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you use the tie downs made for a baby seat found on the backs of the seats the seat back can bounce up on rough rides.
The baby seat tie-downs are not designed to be used to hold cargo in place. They will rip out when used for a purpose other than keeping the infant seat in place. (they work fine for the intended purpose)

I haven't had mine rip out but I've seen it happen. They were NOT designed as hard points.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have not had issue with them yet, but I only lash light equiptment there, the heavier stuff is in the rear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts