Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about 85% done with my rear setup. I wanted a storage solution yet something I could sleep on as well. Loosely followed what another local member did with his. It still needs the drawers, to be carpeted and to find a good foam pad or blowup mattress for it. It will also have a mount for the hi lift on top of the platform since I don't want it on the outside of the vehicle. We created slats that drop in place to support the platform when its folded out flat. I have a door on the outside that flips down to reveal the drawers. It needs a few tweaks but that will function as a flat little work space/food prep space/whatever else space lol. The factory inverter plug will mount inside the box and be accessible from inside the drawer. Also cut out access to the jack compartment so I can access the rats nest of wires I have in there if need be. lol It will be covered in some black outdoor carpet that should match the interior nicely.

And when I fold it all up the slats will stow securely between the back of the seats and the box. Still need to find out a solution to secure them.

Will update after it gets carpeted and finished!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looks really good. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Looks fantastic ?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Nice job Ty!!

See you this weekend!

Reactions: Tys 4x4

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Very nice, really like that the seats can stay.

Reactions: algonaman

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice!! Did you used to build Grandfather Clocks?? Never seen such precision and perfection. Good job!!
HAHA! No I wish I was that good. My dad specializes in building custom cabinets for a living, so the craftsmanship is his work. I simply had the ideas and put it together. lol

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
That's one of the nicest platform drawers I have seen yet, your dad could sell a few sets if he wanted.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's one of the nicest platform drawers I have seen yet, your dad could sell a few sets if he wanted.
I'll pass on the compliment to him. I already told him he should make and sell them. His response was he's already busy enough as is haha I'm thinking this will be a one off box.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Very nice...what are the dimensions of the folding top sections? Been thinking about something like that myself...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
The rear ends of the three "stringers" are supported by a lip on the front of the box; are the front of the stringers supported only by the folded rear seats?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rear ends of the three "stringers" are supported by a lip on the front of the box; are the front of the stringers supported only by the folded rear seats?
Yes they are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To attach the stringers to the box, I'd put a couple T-nuts into the box, and some matching holes in the stringers. Thread a bolt through the stack and into the T-nuts. Hand tight on a larger bolt head should be enough to keep everything from moving around.

Sweet box.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Your dad should reconsider. The price point of these storage containers is pretty high that I am sure he could make a pretty good profit just putting together a kit that could be shipped. Most on this forum have enough skills that they could put it together upon arrival. I am sure that the materials are probably under $200 or less if bought in bulk. Kit could probably sell for 600-900 with the proper fit and finish I am seeing here. The fact that it folds up and allows use of the back seat is wonderful. Nice job!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To attach the stringers to the box, I'd put a couple T-nuts into the box, and some matching holes in the stringers. Thread a bolt through the stack and into the T-nuts. Hand tight on a larger bolt head should be enough to keep everything from moving around.

Sweet box.
Thats a good idea. After starting this thread I thought about drilling 2 holes behind where they would sit, and securing a long threaded bolt through. Then drill corresponding holes in the stringers and use wing nuts to secure them. Also playing around with doing the same but on top of the box. And having them double as a spacer for the hi lift to sit on. Idk, I'll play with it more this weekend.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts