Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After watching all of the box construction projects, I decided to do my own thing.

I needed small drawers to store my gear and a rack to mount radio RF decks, so I decided to build a setup out of 19" rack drawers and aluminum channel.

Test fit of the drawers and shelves.

Testing the fit in the truck...

It's not quite done, when the final touches are added, I'll snap some more pics.

(Yes, It has been bolted in, using the front tie down points, and the top is off at the moment.
I'm still working on getting the radios mounted.)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hmmm, I don't see anything (i.e pics) in the first post except text.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that looks pretty high tech. I like it. heres my rear storage solution. Its a little more basic.
I read about your build up... it looks really good. There are some ingenious folks on this forum. I get more great ideas here! (And I like the rearview Pig.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I read about your build up... it looks really good. There are some ingenious folks on this forum. I get more great ideas here! (And I like the rearview Pig.)
You are mistaking me for some other build.:) I stole, um borrowed, the idea from someone else, but I added a few extras. Made it more permanent by bolting it down instead of the other guys ratchet strap idea. I really like it. Though, if you have a back door malfunction(insert dirty thought here), I wouldnt be able to access the shovel and axe. Oh well. I see a box mod in the future. thanks for the compliment:bigthumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice way to make the install truly your own for your needs.

Just got the drawer slides in for my project and I am considering metal instead of wood. Something different, I like metal work and it will be easy to integrate the wifes requested "purse safe".

·
Registered
876 Posts
You are mistaking me for some other build.:) I stole, um borrowed, the idea from someone else, but I added a few extras. Made it more permanent by bolting it down instead of the other guys ratchet strap idea. I really like it. Though, if you have a back door malfunction(insert dirty thought here), I wouldnt be able to access the shovel and axe. Oh well. I see a box mod in the future. thanks for the compliment:bigthumb:
Nice job! I went back and fourth with bolting it down. Never thought of the door but, I guess if the back door ever malfunctions I can pop the straps off and pull the box back and get to the tools. I do miss the D-rings for stapping things down, I think it's time for a Lowes visit.

Nice job to you too radiorobwalker!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Nicely done! Great mod.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
After watching all of the box construction projects, I decided to do my own thing.

I needed small drawers to store my gear and a rack to mount radio RF decks, so I decided to build a setup out of 19" rack drawers and aluminum channel.

Test fit of the drawers and shelves.

Testing the fit in the truck...

It's not quite done, when the final touches are added, I'll snap some more pics.

(Yes, It has been bolted in, using the front tie down points, and the top is off at the moment.
I'm still working on getting the radios mounted.)
Did you build the drawers or buy them? If bought, where?

I like it. Looks like it's a lot lighter than plywood.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Well done - :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Where are the step by step construction pictures? Where did you get the materials? What are your specifications?? Sheesh, if you're going to do a nice build post, the LEAST you could do is give the rest of us some information to steal! :)

How come I wasn't invited over to help?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where are the step by step construction pictures? Where did you get the materials? What are your specifications?? Sheesh, if you're going to do a nice build post, the LEAST you could do is give the rest of us some information to steal! :)

How come I wasn't invited over to help?
This was a quickie project, done on short school days.:)

The drawers and shelves are standard 19" rack size. They're used in computer and broadcast racks and I had a bunch of this stuff at home from my old studio. They're measured in "rack units", with each "U" about 1.75" tall. Rack unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I have a 4U drawer, two 2U drawers and a couple of 1U shelves. Once you figure out what you want in it, it's pretty easy to noodle out, as all of the rack stuff is standardized.

If you want to buy drawers, shelving or hardware, look on ebay and the web. It's pretty cheap. You can also get the stuff at music stores like Guitar Warehouse or a computer wholesale place.

And Teejeaux, the pics you see are the step by step. I was into it pretty deep before I said "D'oh! I better get the camera!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts