Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously seen discussion on this forum about this. Well it seems Toyota doesn't want it open. The "door open light" stays on. ;) Had to transport some 10' long evestrough home. If set on the dash they stick out the rear window about 3", so no flagging necessary. If you transport anything long like this, use a towel on the dash and rear door, and tie it in the rear to a cargo hook on the floor. Don't want any oopsies!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,871 Posts
With it open just stick something in the latch for it to 'latch' on.

I use a 'S' carbiner connected to another carbiner keychain so that my window stays open enough to let air flow while still keeping the 3rd brake light in sight.

They also make something called a VentLock or something which can keep it open yet secure.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yeah Toyota definitely did not intend for the rear window to be open while driving. This is reinforced by the fact that the rear window being open creates a negative pressure zone which sucks in all kinds of dirt and debris. Driving down a dirt road with the rear window open results in your entire interior being covered in a layer of dust.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Leerburg is the company you can get the vent locks from. I ordered the 4" and 6" for my Boxers being in the back. They may or may not help for the eavestrough but sure does keep the door light off and creates a much better draft of air throughout the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Yeah Toyota definitely did not intend for the rear window to be open while driving. This is reinforced by the fact that the rear window being open creates a negative pressure zone which sucks in all kinds of dirt and debris. Driving down a dirt road with the rear window open results in your entire interior being covered in a layer of dust.

I found this out the hard way...

Dan
FJPDX

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I found this out the hard way...

Dan
FJPDX
I'm right there with ya! First time I took my FJ off-road I popped the back window open so my dog could get some air. After about 5 minutes, I started tasting dirt in my mouth. As I started wondering why I was getting dirt in my mouth I looked around the cabin and noticed everything was covered, including my dog! :lol:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
There are some folks who drive around all summer with the rear window open (using a ventlock), though not on dirt roads I imagine.

I tried it once, but I suspect that a fair amount of exhaust comes in too. One of these days I might borrow a carbon monoxide detector from work and see if any appreciable amount of CO builds up. There is probably enough airflow to prevent any hazard, but it's still something I prefer not to breath.

Reactions: mackb

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just use the shank of a padlock.

I don't drive with the back window open, as it sucks in exhaust fumes and all sorts of things. Unless I'm carrying lengths of steel, etc.

I do keep it popped open when I'm sleeping in the back. The window latch sits on the lock, so its only open an inch or two, and with the front windows open a crack, there is good airflow.

The lock also comes in handy for lots of random things. Some guys like to lock a gate open so they don't get locked in. Grab it on the way out, and you're set!

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser #885/2500
40 Posts
Leerburg is the company you can get the vent locks from. I ordered the 4" and 6" for my Boxers being in the back. They may or may not help for the eavestrough but sure does keep the door light off and creates a much better draft of air throughout the vehicle.
After tons of research I’m realizing a 400-1000$ mod for an automatic window is not worth it but I am interested in Leerburg 4” vent lock. Do you have a link for purchase?

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser #885/2500
40 Posts
I just use the shank of a padlock.

I don't drive with the back window open, as it sucks in exhaust fumes and all sorts of things. Unless I'm carrying lengths of steel, etc.

I do keep it popped open when I'm sleeping in the back. The window latch sits on the lock, so its only open an inch or two, and with the front windows open a crack, there is good airflow.

The lock also comes in handy for lots of random things. Some guys like to lock a gate open so they don't get locked in. Grab it on the way out, and you're set!
After tons of research I’m realizing a 400-1000$ mod for an automatic window is not worth it but I am interested in the shank of the padlock and how it’s used. Can you explain in more detail? Thanks so much in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use one of the vent locks and drive around with it all the time. I also usually have my front windows open, and exhaust is not a problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dog and I love the 4” Leerburg lock. Exhaust is NOT an issue. Not sure why all the fuss.
Most that report issues have the stock exhaust that comes straight out the back underneath the license plate. The TRD exhaust that blows out the side doesn't seem to have the same issue reported. Reports are that when you crack the rear widow and have the front windows open or vented it creates a small enough vacuum to pull exhaust in through the rear. At the end of the day it may come down to individual vehicles and circumstances but I can assure you, it can certainly be an issue. At the very least it's good to be aware of the possibility.

I have an 07' and on most days I hardly notice it. About a year and a half ago I had the truck into my mechanic for some servicing. After getting it back there was a bit of smoking from the engine that I just chalked up to some residual/spilled oil burning off. A couple days later as I was driving up the canyon to go hiking I noticed it still smoking (although most of it was coming out of the exhaust at this point) and figured I'd look at it when I got home. Moments later I started to get the "fade to black" feeling and started seeing little stars. I pulled off the road, killed the engine and jumped out of the truck gasping for air. I quickly ran around to the back to let my dog out and check on her. She had smartly laid down and buried her face and nose completely in the blanket I kept in the rear for her. I'm fairly certain I was moments from passing out behind the wheel. Turns out my ex-mechanic had accidentally crushed a gasket which caused the excess smoking.

Not advocating against them as you can see I still use mine, just more sparingly. There's no harm in letting people know about potential issues either. Glad you haven't experienced them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use one of these. The small ones fit into the window latch to shut off the sensor, then just wrap the velcro around the U bolt. Need something to prop it open though-it closes while driving sometimes. The vent lock looks great until the glass breaks if you hit a pothole too hard--I think those are supposed to be for parked cars but I may be wrong-wouldn't be the first time today. black-husky-garage-storage-hooks-82161n15-64_1000.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts