Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I like to travel with my Boxer dog. She loves to go everywhere with me. She rides in the back and is quiet and mostly just lays there and is content. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can secure the rear window open approx. 3 or 4 inches. If I stop at a store or wherever I would like for her to get as much ventilation as posible, but I don't want her to jump out. Anybody got any ideas???
Thanks, Dale

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Yep... What he said ^
I use one of those nite ize brand carabiner stainless clips (about 3 inches long, with a clasp on each end) attached to the rear glass hook, clipped to a metal tie down ring that fits perfectly in the rear door latch itself. This way the interior dome lights stay off, and you need the key to release the ring from the latch...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I did this mod, only I used some metal hooks, mounted to the ends of a 1" x 1" x 7" piece of wood. I wanted the window to be left open, but about half way open, opposed to cracked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses. Thanks Cogen Man for the link to RCD's window mod. He had the same issue as me and ended up using parts from a snowboard binding strap. I went to the hardware store today and bought a 6inch turnbuckle. It has an eyebolt on one end and a hook on the other. The eyebolt is 1/4 inch in dia. and snaps into the window latch on the rear door. The hook end fits around the U shaped bracket thats on the glass. I tried it out today and so far it works okay but it does rattle a little bit. I am going to keep playing around with this and see if I can come up with something even better. Thanks for all your help, Dale.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dale - try this it's worked the best for me.

This keeps the back window open, eliminates the pressure in the truck with the windows up or down, and the dog likes it and can't jump out. I also wanted something that was going to keep the window from slamming down on the fastener to prevent damage, and a set up that will eliminate rattles. This works on all accounts, and it's cheap.

MobileMe Gallery

pic #48 Two carabiners, bought from the discount rack at my local hardware store. I used heat shrink tubing around one, and around one end of the other, this eliminates rattles. Leave the narrow end of one open to insert into the latch.

#49 insert one end into the latch, and latch the other on the window

#50 buy some scrap pipe insulation at the hardware store, cut to fit.

#52 wrap the pipe insulation around the carabiners this provides enough resistance to keep the window open, but also provides some "give" when driving over bumpy surfaces.

#54 Use two velcro cord ties/wraps around the pipe insulation to keep it in place, it'll come off otherwise on the highway. This allows for quick removal, and set up.

#55 props the window open about 6 inches, just enough for air circulation, not enough for your dog to jump out.

#62 note that I also have a hole drilled on the back door panel to stick my finger in to release the window easily without a key making this quick and easy. Used a plastic hole plug and a zipper pull to give it something to grab on to. Instruction for how the hole is drilled can be found here - forget the original poster but this may be my favorite mod so far.

All in all - about 1 minute to open it and another minute to close it. It's worked great for me and solved the problems I had with a rattling window, and greatly reduces a chance to damage to the window when it tries to close.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Went to home Depot and spent $1.00 for the dog collar hook. Keeps the window open a few inches. Wrapped electrical tape around the window end so it wouldn't rattle. Works perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lock n Load,
I like that rear window release mod. How's that work? When you are sticking your finger in there are you reaching for a button? What causes the window latch to release? It always bugs me to have to use a key to open the window. Then after unlocking the window my rear door locks so then I have to unlock it. Thanks to everyone for all the pictures.. Dale

·
Registered
443 Posts
Found it here -
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...h/83363-unique-mods-post-your-pix-here-8.html
Page 8 about mid way down.

Basically if you take the rear panel off you'll see the switch release for the rear window, there's just an electronic latch that you stick your finger in and give it a little move to the right and it pops right open. There isn't a button inside, but it's pretty darn close.

No locking and unlocking the doors, and the hassle that comes with it. Pop the window open and insert the carabiner, pop it out and close the window - pretty easy.

There are other more elaborate ways to do the same thing in the same thread, but I liked the simplicity of this way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts