Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
great job Ridge!

Love the mod without the need for a relay (I almost dove into that one), and hated locking the doors at the same time opening the rear window.

Will wait to install the cabin switch until I purchase my rear camera so I don't have to take apart the car twice, but considering in the meantime installing a switch on the rear door for now. Anyone have suggestions on where to locate the switch?

T

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
iCruiser said:
Will wait to install the cabin switch until I purchase my rear camera so I don't have to take apart the car twice, but considering in the meantime installing a switch on the rear door for now. Anyone have suggestions on where to locate the switch?
T
I would put it in this pop out piece here...
Vehicle door Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part
It appears to have no particular function, there's plenty of room behind it, it puts the switch in an easy to reach position, and it would be cheap to replace if you ever want to go back to stock... or if you f--k up the install.:)

Or I'd put it on the side wall somewhere near the power outlet.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I made one oversight. When you disconnect the brown/red stp wire to disable the locking functionality, it also disables the rear wiper. This doesn't bother me too much since I never use it, but I'd like for it to work. I'm not really sure how they tie together, but I'm going to look deeper into the electrical diagrams and see what I can find out. You can just plug that wire back in but of course when you use your button or the key to pop the glass you'll also be locking the doors, as designed by the factory. I've tested everything else (defroster, brake light, etc) with the wire disconnected and it is all working properly, it's only the rear wiper affected. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ridge, I've read through the post, maybe I missed it: WHY do the doors lock when you open the window? I understand it's wired that way, why? What is my slow and too little brain missing?

Great suggestion and solution thanks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
CornerCanyonFJ said:
Ridge, I've read through the post, maybe I missed it: WHY do the doors lock when you open the window? I understand it's wired that way, why? What is my slow and too little brain missing?

Great suggestion and solution thanks.
Maybe a Toyota engineer will show up on this forum and answer that. All I can think of is that they just did it for the convenience of not having to add another switch. They already had the lock switch, so they just incorporated the glass release by holding it to the lock position for 2 seconds. It would make more sense to me if they did it for the unlock position, rather than the lock, but I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Ridge111 said:
Maybe a Toyota engineer will show up on this forum and answer that. All I can think of is that they just did it for the convenience of not having to add another switch. They already had the lock switch, so they just incorporated the glass release by holding it to the lock position for 2 seconds. It would make more sense to me if they did it for the unlock position, rather than the lock, but I have no idea.
only if we could re-wire/re-program the door to open the window when you turn the lock counter-clockwise (unlock)

T

·
Registered
53 Posts
FYI-The manual states that if the Rear window is open....it will disable the rear wipers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A thought-----my 2005 4-Runner had a button on the remote for lowering the rear window. Why couldn't they have used the same remote and use the button to open the rear window???

·
Registered
225 Posts
What we need is for one of the vendors that watch the list to come up with an ECU replacement that will let the key fob control the rear window. Such as hold down the unlock on the fob for 2 seconds and the rear window pops

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Nice To see this back up again... Sweet Idea... Thanks

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
vtman05060 said:
FYI-The manual states that if the Rear window is open....it will disable the rear wipers.
That means there is a sensor somewhere to tell it that the window is open...similar to the drivers door buzzer when the key is in the ignition. If you can find the sensor you can disable it or fool it into thinking the window is always closed...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
tnegiet said:
That means there is a sensor somewhere to tell it that the window is open...similar to the drivers door buzzer when the key is in the ignition. If you can find the sensor you can disable it or fool it into thinking the window is always closed...
I see your logic, but the window is closed and the sensor is intact. If I open the window, it will trigger the door ajar light on the dash. The wire unhooked is the one that sends the lock/unlock signal from the rear door ecu to the body ecu.

Honestly if I could find a way to fill the holes, I'd take the rear wiper out altogether. Never liked them.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
i just wanted to refresh this thread again. any new input on the wiper issue and/or updates to this hack?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
i just had a 600 mile trip back home, so i had plenty of time to think about this one. can you just put a momentary two-way rocker switch in the back door, in the removeable little plastic thingey. you could wire it up so that one way it would unlock the hatch window (but lock the doors) then hit it the other way to re- unlock the doors. no running wires back to the dash and you can just parallel them off of the key switch/lock.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
dbbd1 said:
i just had a 600 mile trip back home, so i had plenty of time to think about this one. can you just put a momentary two-way rocker switch in the back door, in the removeable little plastic thingey. you could wire it up so that one way it would unlock the hatch window (but lock the doors) then hit it the other way to re- unlock the doors. no running wires back to the dash and you can just parallel them off of the key switch/lock.
Yes that would work and would be easy to do. We talked about the button in the back door earlier in the thread. I just didn't like the locking and then unlocking thing. And the rear wiper side effect, well I've even removed the wiper now, I just don't know why they add them in the first place.

As far as the button up front, now that you bring it up, I'm not really sure why I did that. lol. I just figured that's where it's supposed to go, and if the mfr had made a button it would have been up front.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts