Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
The button will open the back window with the engine running but I don't know how to program the key fob to open the back window.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I been thinking about doing this mod. But wanted to put 2 buttons (one up front and one in the back).

How hard is this for a relatively noob? I can do oil change and other mechanical work (change brakes, Axles and such) but I am just plain stupid when it comes to electrical.

Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
233 Posts
Adding two buttons would not be any more difficult than adding one. Twist the two wires together that go to the switchs and splice the twisted wires into the release button wiring as described above. I described how I put in my botton in posts # 52-60. This thread has several locations that folks have used to place the botton. I suggest reading from the start and you should have a pretty good idea how to do it. The diode that I used is working real well and hasn't given me any problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is great work, Bugs. I like your mod the best because you don't lose any stock functionality. While I understand the reasons for putting the switch inside the rear door, I would want to open the window mostly while the door is closed so all of my crap doesn't fall out.

Holding down the unlock button on the fob or having an exterior switch that only works when the doors are unlocked would be ideal, but this is a great second choice.

Does the fob even have any programmabilty?

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is great work, Bugs. I like your mod the best because you don't lose any stock functionality. While I understand the reasons for putting the switch inside the rear door, I would want to open the window mostly while the door is closed so all of my crap doesn't fall out.
Thanks. I have had the button up front for a couple of months now and have been very happy with it. I use it all the time when the kids and I go camping and need to pack in the last bit with the door closed. All is working great. Take care and have a great day,
Bugs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Or you could just buy the glass from an A package FJ that doesn't have the rear wiper option.

here ya go ridge, its simple.

wwwclubxb/forums/f16/374-hatch-wiper-removal/]Hatch[/url] Wiper Removal - Scion xB Exterior - Scion xB Forum

wwwclubxb/forums/f30/10851-keytechniques-wiper-plug-color-matched-20-a/]KeyTechniques[/url] Wiper plug color matched $20 shipped - Scion xB Sponsored Sales & Specials - Scion xB Forum

·
Registered
288 Posts
The wiper is not in the glass is it?

GPWDFJ

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I been thinking about doing this mod. But wanted to put 2 buttons (one up front and one in the back).

How hard is this for a relatively noob? I can do oil change and other mechanical work (change brakes, Axles and such) but I am just plain stupid when it comes to electrical.

Thanks for any feedback
gpwdFJ had a great idea. Install the switch in the console so it can be reached from either front or back.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
very nice write up Ridge111, always liked pushing buttons...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Has anyone come up with a way to release the entire rear hatch from the inside?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Has anyone come up with a way to release the entire rear hatch from the inside?
Not that I've seen. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to attach a wire to the vertical rod (inside the door) which is lifted by the outside door handle. A small hole on top of the interior ledge with a ring attached could be lifted to open the rear door from within.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not that I've seen. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to attach a wire to the vertical rod (inside the door) which is lifted by the outside door handle. A small hole on top of the interior ledge with a ring attached could be lifted to open the rear door from within.
Hey, thats a great idea! I think I'll give that a try when I can get the time.

Bugs

·
Registered
611 Posts
It would be extremely useful to be able to unlock and open the hatch from the inside... especially when you're sleeping/camping in the FJ.

I think the top of the ledge would be a great spot for the door release. I suppose a cable/handle (like the emergency release inside trunks) could be easily fitted to the mechanism, but I'd like to see a nicely recessed handle assembly fitted somehow.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What about using one of the power lock actuators or one of the selonoids they use to unlock car doors when they shave the handles. There has to be a mechanical actuator or something that could be installed and then activated using the same type of button you have used on the inside for the window release.

One of you guys has to know something about this stuff. I don't know anything about car electrical wiring. I am just an idea guy...:indifferent:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I hooked mine uptonight and put a momentary swith on the front dash and on the rear door The switch sits on the fuse access door by the drivers left knee and the other one sits on that small removable piece on the rear door Works great..... But

Why on earth would you disconnect the Brown/Red wire???

Once that is disconnected you can't use your key fob to unlock your rear door? I pulled the pin and then was astounded that My fob would not work the rear door! I hooked everything back up and the switch only connects the Purple and Blue wires and works great. Thanks for the idea but again,, why the brown/red wire unplug???

Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did this mod last a year ago when I first bought the FJ. I mounted the button in the door in that little usles 2inch square access plate. Its a great mod but very frustrating that the alarm sets every time you pop the window. Anybody have a work around for that?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I hooked mine uptonight and put a momentary swith on the front dash and on the rear door The switch sits on the fuse access door by the drivers left knee and the other one sits on that small removable piece on the rear door Works great..... But

Why on earth would you disconnect the Brown/Red wire???

Once that is disconnected you can't use your key fob to unlock your rear door? I pulled the pin and then was astounded that My fob would not work the rear door! I hooked everything back up and the switch only connects the Purple and Blue wires and works great. Thanks for the idea but again,, why the brown/red wire unplug???

Joe
Because when the switch connects the blue and purple (same as inserting the key in the rear door keyhole and turning right) it locks all the doors, which means you then have to unlock the doors again after you use your button to pop the window. Disconnecting the brown/red stripe prevents the rear door ecu from sending the lock signal to the body ecu so that the doors don't lock when you push the button. My fob still unlocks all of the doors including the rear door. The only functionality lost in doing this is that the keyhole in the rear door no longer locks/unlocks the doors, and it disables the rear wiper. I don't like that it's not a perfect solution, but since I hate rear wipers anyway, I just removed my wiper.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts