Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, 2nd attempt - nothing controversial this time.

This writeup represents the simplest possible install I've been able to come up with. Below you'll find a wiring diagram, tools list, supplies list, and step-by-step installation instructions.

Video of the working installation

Supplies:
1x PAC TR-7 Module

1x Posi-tab 20-22ga (red)

3x Posi-tab 12-18ga (black)
4x small cable ties

Tools list:

10mm Socket Wrench deep socket or 2" extension
Small screwdriver
Wire cutters/stripers

Downloadable Wiring Diagram

NOTE: PAC Module needs to be programmed to mode 15, 2 pulses, 3 second output. I programmed mine using a 12V brick, you can program it after you get it mostly installed (before connecting trigger wire), or rigging up something to the battery.

Installation Steps:
1. Open rear window using the key one last time...

2. Using the small screw driver, remove the two dust covers (squared) by the hydraulic cylinders, and the caps that are covering the bolts (circled).

3. Carefully peel the plastic covering down halfway. You’ll be reattaching it, so try not to stretch or tear the plastic.
 (IGNORE THE ARROWS)

4. Identify the power lines at the rear door MCU right hand connector (white with black stripe = GND, blue with orange stripe = +12VDC constant) and install a black 12-18ga Posi-tap connector on each one (installing the tap side).

5. Identify the white door unlock trigger line at the lock and at the rear door MCU left hand connector and install a black 12-18ga Posi-tap connector near the MCU.

6. Identify the blue (with silver dots) keyswitch line at the keyswitch and rear door MCU left hand connector and install a red 20-22ga Posi-tap connector near the MCU.

7. Connect the lines from the PAC module harness as noted below by removing the pre-stripped 1/4” sections of insulation.

MCU Connections PAC Connections

Blue w/ Or Stripe (+12VDC) <--> Red

White w/ Black Stripe (GND) <--> Black

Blue w/ silver dots (keyswitch lock) <--> White

White (Door unlock trigger) <--> Green

8. Connect the PAC Module to the harness.

9. Using the zip ties, secure the PAC module (takes two) and the wires.

Trim the zip ties.

10. Reconnect any loose wires from the MCU.

11. Close the window and test - 3 unlock presses on the key fob, or 2 unlock presses from the front door lock controls.

12. Open the window, carefully secure the plastic sheet, replace the rear plastic panel, 2 bolts, and covers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question:
In order to perform this mod; Do I have to have toe moccasins like yours? ;) :rofl:

Awesome write up. Much simpler and great pics :bigthumb:
It helps! I thought about cropping them out then decided to go for it. :lol:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just had BlueRoom Member and NCFJCRUISERS.COM Member "JoshJack"'s, KeyFob RearWindow Release MOD installed on my Cruiser...
LOVE IT!!!

It is well worth it! Three clicks on Fob and POP rear window opens! or Two clicks on the driver side door lock switch and POP rear window opens... Something Toyota should have done to the FJ originally!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That is frickin sweeet!
How do you go about programming the PAC? is that something that is difficult?

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
That is frickin sweeet!
I was curious about that an what exactly this thing was doing too, so I went to their website and read the pdf of their instructions. Long story short it's a PITA to program because it as soooooo many functions. However that is also it's benefit because once you have the thing there's like a billion different uses for it :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is frickin sweeet!
It's not "difficult" but it will probably take you 3 tries to get it right if you've never done it before. There's about 5 steps to follow. I listed the program mode and settings above, so you would just plug those numbers in at the right steps.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
It's not "difficult" but it will probably take you 3 tries to get it right if you've never done it before. There's about 5 steps to follow. I listed the program mode and settings above, so you would just plug those numbers in at the right steps.
Well technically your correct but cause it's just touching wires to the battery but it's the sequencing that's confusing as all heck. :cheers:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have always wanted to place switches to open the rear window.
One on the dashboard and one on the inside of the rear door, in case of emergency for someone riding back there.
Is it as simple as applying 12 volts to the unlock circuit?

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is brilliant! Just ordered my parts and can't wait to get this installed. Only question is, does the FJ still lock all doors after that pulse is sent to the rear window via the PAC module?

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Great write up!!!

cheers,
'
dale

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Now if you could just get the door lock on my driver's side to work with the remote!!

Great write up!

·
Registered
429 Posts
This is brilliant! Just ordered my parts and can't wait to get this installed. Only question is, does the FJ still lock all doors after that pulse is sent to the rear window via the PAC module?
I can attest that w 3Pulse on the key-fob or 2Clicks on the inside door lock; the back-window Pops open, the doors remain un-locked! So I than 1Pulse the key-fob or 1Click the inside door lock to lock all three doors, than when you close the rear-window (manually), it (rear-window) is locked as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have always wanted to place switches to open the rear window.
One on the dashboard and one on the inside of the rear door, in case of emergency for someone riding back there.
Is it as simple as applying 12 volts to the unlock circuit?
I'm actually applying ground to the keyswitch circuit for 3 sec. I found that the current level was just below the threshold to pop the window lock without running a dedicated line back to the battery.

This method also does not require any extra relays...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wire colors don't match up on my 2007 unless I'm missing something, anyone else run into this? I'm trying to figure out which ones to use instead, not working out so well so far :(

1 - 20 of 90 Posts