Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Rear Window Switch Revisited

71K views 106 replies 56 participants last post by  BaileyPayn 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been waiting to get the exact switch I wanted before doing this mod. No one stocked them. I had to order 10 of them and pay a special order fee to get them, so if anyone wants one I have eight available. I am going to keep one extra to install in an overhead console if I ever find one I like. The switches are SPDT rockers, momentary on in both directions and fit a 3/4" round hole.

This is the switch and the step drill I used to make the hole. I don't know why they look green.

The hole drilled and the switch installed. I elected to install the switch on top of the rear door panel instead of in the face of it so cargo and dogs etc. wouldn't be bumping into it.

Here is the plug and wires that run from the lockswitch to the rear door ECU. The purple wire is the common lead, the blue for unlocking rear window, and the red is for unlocking all doors. I elected to solder my wires to the switch side of the plug so I wouldn't have to disconnect the battery. Notice that the wires on the switch side do not color match the wires on the ECU side.

My finished splice. Wrap the individual splices with electrical tape and then wrap them together.

Female terminals crimped to the wires and installed on switch. Be sure to put the common wire on the center terminal. Wrap all terminals with electrical tape.

Finished product. When switch is rocked forward, the rear window unlocks and all doors lock. When switch is rocked rearward, doors are unlocked.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks nice though I am unsure of the usefullness of having a rear window switch inside the rear panel area. If I am already there, I could just use the key in the door or the remote fob to lock and unlock. The install looks very clean and I like it from that perspective. The switch integrates very nicely as well with the interior.

Toyota really should have integrated this into the key fob so you could remotely open the window!

Reactions: cvollers
#3 ·
Thanks for your input.
I have repeatedly found myself wanting to open the window when the keys are elsewhere....in the ignition, in my pocket when my hands are full. etc. It's useful for me.

Reactions: caver6 and Hannibal
#4 ·
Please don't think I was slamming your decision to put it in the rear. The remote lock would be useful at times for sure. Bottom line is it looks factory and if it suits your purposes and needs that's all that really matters. I can't tell you how many times I've walked out with something in my hands that I just wanted to toss in the back and it was more hassle than not to open the door compared to just punching a button on the key fob (if it was an option on the FJ) to open the window.

#5 ·
hey nice setup, very clean looking. How much do you want for two of those switches? And does your "door opened" light blink wen the window is open?

#7 ·
I didn't check it but i suppose it does per other discussions on here. There is a fix for this. Somone came up with a mod to "latch" the window in the slightly opened position to defeat the light and prevent a dog from escaping. Should turn up in a search.

#6 ·
Also am interested in two of the switches as well....

#9 ·
PM Sent:alfdance:

#10 ·
To me the top reason for this switch and the rear placement is the ability to open the window from the inside and reach out to open the tailgate.

You can sleep in the FJ comfortably, but only with the front seats in such a configuration that requires a bit of contortionism to get out of the vehicle.

I think the FJ was designed for transporting prisoners.

• Haha
Reactions: FJ Yoda
#13 ·
To me the top reason for this switch and the rear placement is the ability to open the window from the inside and reach out to open the tailgate.
This would be good to be able to reach out when stuck in let's say some mud and you needed to attach a tow strap to the back.

#16 ·
Everyone who paid for switches should have them. I have two left. PM me if you want one.

#18 ·
bump. I have one switch left for anyone wanting to do this mod.

#27 ·
Very clean install, but someone please explain to me the idea behind this mod! What is the advantage to poping the rear window if you must open the rear door to access the switch?

(unless you are inside the FJ in the cargo area!)

#29 ·
I have been thinking about this...I guess it didn't hit me that there is no door latch or handle to open the door from the inside. Now that I have come to that very obvious realization I now understand the window pop button in the rear of the vehichle. That way you can open the window and then reach out and open the door. I was having a really hard time for a really long time wondering why you would want to open the back window from inside the cargo area...gosh I hate being slow.

The funny thing is I have one of these switches sitting waiting to be installed, but I never did it because I didn't know where I wanted to put the button. Now that I understand the lack of door opening ability from inside the cargo area, i think I will install mine on the side of the center console inside the cubby. Then I can reach it from the front or the back...

Reactions: archipelagos
#31 ·
Great idea for the back end switch, now how about some creativity for the front end?

My new FJ has at least three blank switch locations up front--two in the center switch area and one left of the steering wheel.

I would also like the idea of installing a rear window release switch in one of these locations. Anyone agree? Anyone know how to do it?

I would like to use another of the blank switches to be able to kill the daylight running lights. Sometimes when hunting, etc. I would prefer they not be on.

Love the vehicle, have owned it four days now. Great forum!

Mike

#34 ·
So....If I wanted to use a single push button switch to just unlock the rear window from inside the truck I would just splice into the purple and blue and run them to my push button? Then when i hold the button down for 2 seconds it would pop the rear window?

Am I correct ?

#36 ·
bump for a great modification.

if any of you newer '08 owners are considering this mod, you can buy switches for around $5 from marvac.com

product number: 30-16074 SPDT Switch

ATTN MODS: If this hasn't been included in the technical mods forum, wesayso's article gets my nomination to be included.

#37 ·
I did this mod as well, both rear and front, I second the idea that it be put in the tech section. Once the weather changes I am going to try a couple of Jeep Liberty struts in place of the stock struts. The Liberty rear window pops open when the latch is released.

#38 · (Edited)
I finally got around to doing a combo of the "manual rear door unlock" and the "rear window unlatch". These mods are both worth the time. I gotta say thanks to "sonof40" for the great instructions on the manual rear door unlock and "wesayso" for the great rear window unlatch instructions.

Link to "sonof40's" manual rear door unlock instructions:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru.../43648-open-rear-door-inside-pics-follow.html

All went just like the posted instructions, but because I believe in looking before I leap, I spent time digging through the electrical manual to make sure that I understood where the switch would actually connect in the window schematics.

I found the switch at ACE electronics in Houston, $4.95. Make sure that you get SPDT labeled "(ON)-OFF-(ON)". Note that the ON's are in parentheses, which means momentarily in that position.

Thanks again for posting these great ideas. :clap:

Attachments

#42 ·
Just did this mod and wow how simple it really was. I even ran one switch up to the front so I could open it from the driver seat.