Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been waiting to get the exact switch I wanted before doing this mod. No one stocked them. I had to order 10 of them and pay a special order fee to get them, so if anyone wants one I have eight available. I am going to keep one extra to install in an overhead console if I ever find one I like. The switches are SPDT rockers, momentary on in both directions and fit a 3/4" round hole.

This is the switch and the step drill I used to make the hole. I don't know why they look green.

The hole drilled and the switch installed. I elected to install the switch on top of the rear door panel instead of in the face of it so cargo and dogs etc. wouldn't be bumping into it.

Here is the plug and wires that run from the lockswitch to the rear door ECU. The purple wire is the common lead, the blue for unlocking rear window, and the red is for unlocking all doors. I elected to solder my wires to the switch side of the plug so I wouldn't have to disconnect the battery. Notice that the wires on the switch side do not color match the wires on the ECU side.

My finished splice. Wrap the individual splices with electrical tape and then wrap them together.

Female terminals crimped to the wires and installed on switch. Be sure to put the common wire on the center terminal. Wrap all terminals with electrical tape.

Finished product. When switch is rocked forward, the rear window unlocks and all doors lock. When switch is rocked rearward, doors are unlocked.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks nice though I am unsure of the usefullness of having a rear window switch inside the rear panel area. If I am already there, I could just use the key in the door or the remote fob to lock and unlock. The install looks very clean and I like it from that perspective. The switch integrates very nicely as well with the interior.

Toyota really should have integrated this into the key fob so you could remotely open the window!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks nice though I am unsure of the usefullness of having a rear window switch inside the rear panel area. If I am already there, I could just use the key in the door or the remote fob to lock and unlock. The install looks very clean and I like it from that perspective. The switch integrates very nicely as well with the interior.

Toyota really should have integrated this into the key fob so you could remotely open the window!
Thanks for your input.
I have repeatedly found myself wanting to open the window when the keys are elsewhere....in the ignition, in my pocket when my hands are full. etc. It's useful for me.

Reactions: Hannibal

·
Registered
759 Posts
Please don't think I was slamming your decision to put it in the rear. The remote lock would be useful at times for sure. Bottom line is it looks factory and if it suits your purposes and needs that's all that really matters. I can't tell you how many times I've walked out with something in my hands that I just wanted to toss in the back and it was more hassle than not to open the door compared to just punching a button on the key fob (if it was an option on the FJ) to open the window.

·
Registered
375 Posts
hey nice setup, very clean looking. How much do you want for two of those switches? And does your "door opened" light blink wen the window is open?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Also am interested in two of the switches as well....

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey nice setup, very clean looking. How much do you want for two of those switches? And does your "door opened" light blink wen the window is open?
I didn't check it but i suppose it does per other discussions on here. There is a fix for this. Somone came up with a mod to "latch" the window in the slightly opened position to defeat the light and prevent a dog from escaping. Should turn up in a search.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also am interested in two of the switches as well....
I'll let switches go for $9 + $4 for priority mail shipping. If you want a second one just add another $9. If you're interested, PM me with your name and address and I'll let you know where to send the money. I use Paypal if you'de prefer that. There are only eight available, so first come first serve.

·
Registered
288 Posts
PM Sent:alfdance:

·
Registered
272 Posts
To me the top reason for this switch and the rear placement is the ability to open the window from the inside and reach out to open the tailgate.

You can sleep in the FJ comfortably, but only with the front seats in such a configuration that requires a bit of contortionism to get out of the vehicle.

I think the FJ was designed for transporting prisoners.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still have 4 switches available.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only three switches left.

·
965 Posts
To me the top reason for this switch and the rear placement is the ability to open the window from the inside and reach out to open the tailgate.
This would be good to be able to reach out when stuck in let's say some mud and you needed to attach a tow strap to the back.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2 switches left.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Nice install - have a switch left?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everyone who paid for switches should have them. I have two left. PM me if you want one.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bump. I have one switch left for anyone wanting to do this mod.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
bump. I have one switch left for anyone wanting to do this mod.
You still have a switch left? I like how it matches the interior perfectly. BTW.... great setup. That window was not designed for convenience... that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
You still have a switch left? I like how it matches the interior perfectly. BTW.... great setup. That window was not designed for convenience... that's for sure!
He told me they are all gone :flame:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts