Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts
To me the top reason for this switch and the rear placement is the ability to open the window from the inside and reach out to open the tailgate.

You can sleep in the FJ comfortably, but only with the front seats in such a configuration that requires a bit of contortionism to get out of the vehicle.

I think the FJ was designed for transporting prisoners.
I agree with Saqqara. I think a better mod (or a factory addition) would be an interior rear door release. As a matter of safety, any door on a vehicle should have the ability to be opened from inside. Could the release button idea be configured to do this or is there an aftermarket addition that would allow the rear door to be opened from within? Now THAT would interest me.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
how about a manufacture/website/part number so we can get more? even if we do have to order 10 at a time.
The switch is made by NTE Electronics. Part # is 54-548. They seem to be in better supply now. Try Newark Electronics, or Mouser Electronics.

Reactions: cvollers
Very clean install, but someone please explain to me the idea behind this mod! What is the advantage to poping the rear window if you must open the rear door to access the switch?

(unless you are inside the FJ in the cargo area!)

Very clean install, but someone please explain to me the idea behind this mod! What is the advantage to poping the rear window if you must open the rear door to access the switch?

I think the idea was to be able to open from the inside. I do a lot of car camping and it is very useful for that.

I have been thinking about this...I guess it didn't hit me that there is no door latch or handle to open the door from the inside. Now that I have come to that very obvious realization I now understand the window pop button in the rear of the vehichle. That way you can open the window and then reach out and open the door. I was having a really hard time for a really long time wondering why you would want to open the back window from inside the cargo area...gosh I hate being slow.

The funny thing is I have one of these switches sitting waiting to be installed, but I never did it because I didn't know where I wanted to put the button. Now that I understand the lack of door opening ability from inside the cargo area, i think I will install mine on the side of the center console inside the cubby. Then I can reach it from the front or the back...

Reactions: archipelagos
Great idea for the back end switch, now how about some creativity for the front end?

My new FJ has at least three blank switch locations up front--two in the center switch area and one left of the steering wheel.

I would also like the idea of installing a rear window release switch in one of these locations. Anyone agree? Anyone know how to do it?

I would like to use another of the blank switches to be able to kill the daylight running lights. Sometimes when hunting, etc. I would prefer they not be on.

Love the vehicle, have owned it four days now. Great forum!

Mike

Discussion starter · #32 ·

Exactly. I often have my hands full and cant get to my keys to lock the doors when removing equipment from the rear of the FJ. I push the switch momentarily (this locks all doors) before picking up the equipment and then push the door closed with my hip.
Great idea for the back end switch, now how about some creativity for the front end?

My new FJ has at least three blank switch locations up front--two in the center switch area and one left of the steering wheel.

I would also like the idea of installing a rear window release switch in one of these locations. Anyone agree? Anyone know how to do it?

I would like to use another of the blank switches to be able to kill the daylight running lights. Sometimes when hunting, etc. I would prefer they not be on.

Love the vehicle, have owned it four days now. Great forum!

Mike
It would be a simple matter to install a switch up front and wire it to the switch in the rear. I've been thinking of doing this, but installing the switch in my maplight assembly. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ge-install.html?highlight=map+light+SCANGUAGE

So....If I wanted to use a single push button switch to just unlock the rear window from inside the truck I would just splice into the purple and blue and run them to my push button? Then when i hold the button down for 2 seconds it would pop the rear window?

Am I correct ?

Discussion starter · #35 ·
So....If I wanted to use a single push button switch to just unlock the rear window from inside the truck I would just splice into the purple and blue and run them to my push button? Then when i hold the button down for 2 seconds it would pop the rear window?

Am I correct ?
You got it.

bump for a great modification.

if any of you newer '08 owners are considering this mod, you can buy switches for around $5 from marvac.com

product number: 30-16074 SPDT Switch

ATTN MODS: If this hasn't been included in the technical mods forum, wesayso's article gets my nomination to be included.

I did this mod as well, both rear and front, I second the idea that it be put in the tech section. Once the weather changes I am going to try a couple of Jeep Liberty struts in place of the stock struts. The Liberty rear window pops open when the latch is released.

I finally got around to doing a combo of the "manual rear door unlock" and the "rear window unlatch". These mods are both worth the time. I gotta say thanks to "sonof40" for the great instructions on the manual rear door unlock and "wesayso" for the great rear window unlatch instructions.

Link to "sonof40's" manual rear door unlock instructions:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru.../43648-open-rear-door-inside-pics-follow.html

All went just like the posted instructions, but because I believe in looking before I leap, I spent time digging through the electrical manual to make sure that I understood where the switch would actually connect in the window schematics.

I found the switch at ACE electronics in Houston, $4.95. Make sure that you get SPDT labeled "(ON)-OFF-(ON)". Note that the ON's are in parentheses, which means momentarily in that position.

Thanks again for posting these great ideas. :clap:

Attachments

Discussion starter · #39 ·

I have stumbled across another use for this mod. I usually have my ignition switch turned on while washing the truck so I can listen to the CD player. When it comes time to chamois the truck dry, I can release the window to dry the inside areas that catch water w/o getting the keys from the ignition. Just dont forget to push the switch the other way to unlock the doors before closing the back end, or you'll find yourself locked out. It happened to me the first time I did this, and I had to retrieve my spare key from the house.

Also, I use the lock doors function every day when I remove my tools from the rear of the truck because I've already clipped my keys to a belt loop

...It would be a simple matter to install a switch up front and wire it to the switch in the rear...
Unfortunately, I'm no mechanic nor auto tech -- and I don't play one on TV.

If anyone has added an "up-front" switch to complement the rear switch mod (which seems very straight forward, thanks wesayso!) I'd love to learn more about how they did it. Anyone have a "how to" with pix? Did you run the wiring through the interior or under and outside? :confused:

21 - 40 of 107 Posts