Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 60 of 107 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm no mechanic nor auto tech -- and I don't play one on TV.

If anyone has added an "up-front" switch to complement the rear switch mod (which seems very straight forward, thanks wesayso!) I'd love to learn more about how they did it. Anyone have a "how to" with pix? Did you run the wiring through the interior or under and outside? :confused:
I have no pics of what I did, but I simply ran the 3 wires in a plastic shielding from the jack compartment up behind the plastic on the driver's side next to the rear seat. Then down to the floor and under the sill cover up to the drivers kick panel, from there up behind the dash and over to the center console and located the switch in the center console.

I use the rear switch far more than the one on the console.

Just did this mod and wow how simple it really was. I even ran one switch up to the front so I could open it from the driver seat.

Great mod. Planning to tackle it this weekend. Please pardon my ignorance... I found and ordered the switch specified here, but what gauge wire(s) do I need? And, what is the spec. (size?) for the leads that attach to the three posts on the back of the switch? Can I use a heat-shrink / weatherproof wrap, or is there a reason you just used electrical tape?

If someone can "spell it out" for me I might just be able to pick up everything I need in ONE trip to the hardware store.

Thanks in advance,

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Great mod. Planning to tackle it this weekend. Please pardon my ignorance... I found and ordered the switch specified here, but what gauge wire(s) do I need? And, what is the spec. (size?) for the leads that attach to the three posts on the back of the switch? Can I use a heat-shrink / weatherproof wrap, or is there a reason you just used electrical tape?

If someone can "spell it out" for me I might just be able to pick up everything I need in ONE trip to the hardware store.

Thanks in advance,
I used 1/4" connectors. I would have used heat shrink if I'd had any at the time. As for wire gauge, 16-14 will be fine.

I got to use the mod over the last two days sleeping in my truck.
It is awesome to be able to just push a button and get out of the rear of the truck.
No hassle of climbing over the front seats to get to the door.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
I got to use the mod over the last two days sleeping in my truck because the recruits were in the field and I had to be there just in case something happened.
It is awesme to be able to just push a button and get out of the rear of the truck. No hassle of climbing over the front seats to get to the door.
Wow, my son is in boot at Parris Island. He's scheduled for Nov. 14 graduation. Is that your group by any chance?

Followed your install instructions but went with 2 seperate switches. Trunk relase switches from a couple of wrecked Chrysler Intrepids. One for the door locks and one for the window lock. Your write up helped me do this in a matter of an hour. Thanks

this looks like a great mod, thanks for the wright up!

I added a button to pop the rear glass today. Just wanted to post up a pic of where I found to put the button. I had wanted to place it up front and somewhere out of the way so it didnt get pressed inadvertently.

So i replaced one of the screws in the driver's side dash storage box with the switch. The box is still fits really tight even missing the one screw.

Great place to hide it away.... Nice Job!!!

Do I have this correct? If I add a switch up front to "pop" the rear window, it only needs to be an "On/Off" rocker:)rocker:) switch and not an on/off/on ? and I would only need to tie into the common and rear window wires as opposed to all three as for the back door switch-YES ?

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Do I have this correct? If I add a switch up front to "pop" the rear window, it only needs to be an "On/Off" rocker:)rocker:) switch and not an on/off/on ? and I would only need to tie into the common and rear window wires as opposed to all three as for the back door switch-YES ?
That would work.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
I added a button to pop the rear glass today. Just wanted to post up a pic of where I found to put the button. I had wanted to place it up front and somewhere out of the way so it didnt get pressed inadvertently.

So i replaced one of the screws in the driver's side dash storage box with the switch. The box is still fits really tight even missing the one screw.

Great mod on the mod. :bigthumb:

Thought so, Thanks.

DID IT! I just finished putting in a double switch in the back door to lock/unlock so I can then use my new latch mod to get out of the back and I added a single switch in the dash to "pop" the back window, only prob. is that with the dash switch..unless I have a door open, I can only LOCK doors and pop the back window. can't unlock doors,do to the on/off switch. not that big a deal since if I pop the back window I will be getting out anyway. I'll see if I can manage to post some pics, I've not had any luck with that so far..

Where did you get that switch?

41 - 60 of 107 Posts