Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts
Discussion starter · #63 ·
NTE part # 54-548 from most electronics suppliers.

Not having an FJ yet, I had a question about the rear window... When you release it(either with the key or one of these switches) what happens? Does it just unlatch or does it open?

I'm trying to hunt down an FJ to buy but while I'm waiting I wanted to find out about opening that back window. My desire being the ability to remotely OPEN the back window for better airflow while driving.

I had an epiphany moment about 5am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. My thought was to use a spring to pop the window out far enough for the piston to take over. Placing the spring on the piston's arm, or if that won't work, maybe right above the latch and pushing on the glass. But not knowing how the window opens or how the piston operates(b/c I don't have one yet) I figured I'd throw the idea out there.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
^^^It just unlatches^^^

Not having an FJ yet, I had a question about the rear window... When you release it(either with the key or one of these switches) what happens? Does it just unlatch or does it open?

I'm trying to hunt down an FJ to buy but while I'm waiting I wanted to find out about opening that back window. My desire being the ability to remotely OPEN the back window for better airflow while driving.

I had an epiphany moment about 5am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. My thought was to use a spring to pop the window out far enough for the piston to take over. Placing the spring on the piston's arm, or if that won't work, maybe right above the latch and pushing on the glass. But not knowing how the window opens or how the piston operates(b/c I don't have one yet) I figured I'd throw the idea out there.

I gave this a try using a door popper. A door popper is a spring loaded device used on hot rods with shaved door handles. You hit the remove latch and the door popper pops the door open enough to grab it and open it.

The door popper would not push the window far enough for the pistons to take over though :( The rear window on a Jeep Liberty opens all the wa when the latch is relaeased and the cylinders are very close to the same size. Perhaps swapping them might just do the trick.

Just pull over and pop the window.:cheers:

Just pull over and pop the window.:cheers:
Well thats terribly convenient!

I finally found a picture of that back window and saw how the pistons are mounted. You've probably gotta open the window half way before the pistons can get any leverage being mounted vertically. I wonder if you could remount the pistons from a bracket on the ceiling or the side pillar so that they'd have more force to push the window out and up when it gets unlatched.

OK, the designer brain just kicked in while reading this......
Since you dont want the window to open all the way while driving, maybe a small cylinder that you can disconnect easily when you want to open the window all the way? Something with about a 3" stroke that is simply hooked to a small accumulator pressurized with just enough to pop the window, or a spring return cylinder with the extended position spring loaded.... Then when you close the window it just compresses the cylinder again. It would serve both purposes - open the window AND restrain it without rattling in a partial open position. I have looked at the current ideas that some posted about latching the window open a crack while driving and frankly think that at best they are ghetto :(

A small Bimba cylinder is pretty cheap, just a small mounting bracket to the pillar required and a simple clip pin thats not accessible from/through the window, but easily done from the inside (for camping)....

OK when the FJ comes back from the http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...e-short-bus-now-massive-america-roadtrip.html
I'm going to do this mod and add the Bimba cylinder....

Now the question is - where can I readily tap into the wiring so I can place the window/rear door switch at the back end of the console - reachable from both front and back?

How did you remove the large trim panel on the tailgate? I removed the nuts under the round access covers, but the panel was still tight in place. It looked like maybe it pops up over the rear brake light, but wanted to be sure before I broke something.

Thanks

Discussion starter · #71 ·
Just pry it off carefully. It's held on with the little snap clips.

Is the "common" wire in this mod just a ground? Which gets applied to one of the two wires by the switch? I'm hoping it is, so that for a switch up front, I can just tap into a ground source up there, and only use two wires to go to the back. Anyone know if thats whats going on?

I found that indeed, the common is just a ground. So I was able to install a switch up front and only needed to run a 2 conductor instead of 3, utilizing a ground source under the dash.

I'm finally getting around to this mod myself and had a question or two:

1) Is there a way to pop the latch without locking all the doors?

2) Would any of these work? Rockers

or these? Momentary Rocker
x2. You absolutely need "momentary" rockers for both switches. I ordered mine from Grainger: Part#'s 2LNH4 and 2LND6

I suppose with a bit of work you could figure out how to activate just the latch. You'd have to isolate the wires that go from the back door's computer to the little motor that pops the latch. It is in a small white plastic housing and has a small metal "finger" that sticks out and pushes the release latch. Find out what kind of power is being sent to it(+ voltage or just a ground). Then set up your switch to provide that power and splice into the wiring(prob. install a diode just to be safe). The method I use basically simulates inserting the key into the back door lock and turning it. The button goes both ways, so rock it forward and hold 2 seconds to release the window(and lock the doors), then rock it the other way to unlock. And contrary to what I expected, I believe it only affects the lock on the back door, not all doors(I can confirm this evening).

I did this last night after work. Took me an hour because I had to remove all the crap that is mounted to the door. It is an easy install. I highly recommend it for anyone who needs to easily release the rear window. I mounted the switch in a place where it is hard to find if you don't know where it is but where I can still reach in and release the window when I have my Leerburg vent installed. The switch can be found on Amazon and was less than $20 shipped.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

61 - 80 of 107 Posts