Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Rear Window Switch Revisited

71K views 106 replies 56 participants last post by  BaileyPayn 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been waiting to get the exact switch I wanted before doing this mod. No one stocked them. I had to order 10 of them and pay a special order fee to get them, so if anyone wants one I have eight available. I am going to keep one extra to install in an overhead console if I ever find one I like. The switches are SPDT rockers, momentary on in both directions and fit a 3/4" round hole.

This is the switch and the step drill I used to make the hole. I don't know why they look green.

The hole drilled and the switch installed. I elected to install the switch on top of the rear door panel instead of in the face of it so cargo and dogs etc. wouldn't be bumping into it.

Here is the plug and wires that run from the lockswitch to the rear door ECU. The purple wire is the common lead, the blue for unlocking rear window, and the red is for unlocking all doors. I elected to solder my wires to the switch side of the plug so I wouldn't have to disconnect the battery. Notice that the wires on the switch side do not color match the wires on the ECU side.

My finished splice. Wrap the individual splices with electrical tape and then wrap them together.

Female terminals crimped to the wires and installed on switch. Be sure to put the common wire on the center terminal. Wrap all terminals with electrical tape.

Finished product. When switch is rocked forward, the rear window unlocks and all doors lock. When switch is rocked rearward, doors are unlocked.

See less See more
#80 ·
I did this last night after work. Took me an hour because I had to remove all the crap that is mounted to the door. It is an easy install. I highly recommend it for anyone who needs to easily release the rear window. I mounted the switch in a place where it is hard to find if you don't know where it is but where I can still reach in and release the window when I have my Leerburg vent installed. The switch can be found on Amazon and was less than $20 shipped.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#84 ·
Okay another newbie question here. This will be my first time messing with vehicle electronics. I'm planning on having a switch on the rear door AND by the driver's seat. My question is how to then conect all the wires together for both switches to be functional. Do they get soldered into the same point or do I solder one switch in place then solder the second a little ways down? I'm planning on using an (on)off(on) in the rear like the OP and an (on)off on the dash. Also does anyone have a schematic to help this newbie? Thanks all!

#86 ·
I'm planning to do this mod soon, but had a realization when purchasing switches.

Why not purchase a Toyota lock/unlock switch? It would say lock/unlock, look factory, and I believe those switches must also be (on)-off-(on) as well, right? It seems like the perfect switch to use.

Also, if that's true, then why add a switch to the front of the vehicle...there is already one in the door. Is it possible to wire only the window to the driver side door lock/unlock switch. That way holding the driver side lock switch down for two seconds would open the window.

Thoughts?

#89 · (Edited)
I'm doing this mod, and have connected my 3 wires to the (on) off (on) momentary switch. I spliced into the 3 wires directly from the door hatch's key hole harness (black in the middle, red on one side, green on the other side). Everything is working as expected, however I've read here that people have been able to rock the switch and lock / unlock ALL the doors on the FJ, but in my experience, it only applies to the rear door. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

#91 ·
Interesting. Taking the switch out of the equation, I just tried this myself using just my key. I turn the key to the left, and the rear door unlocks. I turn the key to the right, and the rear door locks. Hold the key to the right and the window unlatches. At no point do any of the 2 front doors lock or unlock. Am I missing something here?

#96 · (Edited)
For those of you who are visual learners like myself, I made a video guide on (my version of) the installation of this mod. Sometimes reading and reviewing photos aren't enough to explain exactly how stuff works, so I hope this is helpful for anyone looking to do this mod (I know I could have used something like this when I read through this thread and was trying to grasp it). In the end, it really is a pretty straight forward mod that anyone can do, but some of the talk about splicing into wires, soldering, drilling, and even removing the plastic door cover, can be a little intimidating if you've never done it before. Thanks to all on this forum for sharing these awesome ideas for our FJs.

#101 ·
Another solution:

#103 ·