Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early Colorado snowstorm and cold snap (13° low) and suddenly my rear wiper is on the fritz. When I activate the switch, the blade leaves the bracket but lifts only about an inch, then retracts. Today it's 40° but still not working. It's worked perfectly in the past. I'll go through the diagnostic stuff tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has had this particular problem and solved it. Hoping it's not the motor.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,755 Posts
Removing the interior panel is not difficult - maybe activate the switch and watch/listen to the motor and mechanism? Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just removed the spare and watched the action. It appears that the drive shaft is slipping inside the arm socket. The motor is working correctly, just not able to move the arm over its full range. Not sure how to remove the arm, going to play with it a bit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed. The wiper arm end has a flip-up spring-loaded cover, underneath is a retaining nut to hold the arm to the motor shaft. This nut was barely finger tight, causing the problem. The motor shaft has a male, coned, knurled surface and the arm socket is female coned. The nut pulls the arm socket onto the knurled surface creating the friction needed. Tightened it up and back in bidness!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts