Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased new Exp One front & rear bumpers, a new winch and rock sliders (approx 450# addition). I'm looking for a 2.5" to 3" lift and wanted to add a new suspension to carry all this extra weight and smooth out my ride on rough country roads, forest roads and moderate 4x4 treks in the local mountains. (No rock crawling or sand/desert adventures are anticipated). I have a (mostly) stock '07 MT TRD - but I'm excited to have this upgraded rig when I'm done!

My question: Currently I have great quotes from ToyTec and RadFlo (who are both offering Black Friday sales by the way).
Right now, I'm heavily leaning towards RadFlo. In speaking with Glen (he was very nice), his recommendations were fairly in line with previous opinions from this forum.
Those recommendations were: 2.5" front AND rear coil-over w/remote reservoir & compression adjustments (A 6CT 001 1A) and C spanner 2.5" shock.

Glen (RadFlo) advised I would have to purchase separately rear constant load springs and new UCAs. I was thinking of a SPC UCA, as I don't think I will need the extra expense of a high-end ICON ... is my logic ok on this?
Secondly, Glen suggested a set Dobbinson coils. There's not much in the forum about these coils (I did find a post re: an unlucky guy in the Philippines who was unhappy with his purchase of shocks). After calling Dobbinson, they suggested a 60 mil lift for 150-300 kg (Part # C59-327, $190); however, they are out of stock and won't have any until December/January.
ToyTec, on the other hand, has everything in stock. They recommended a different set up: ToyTec Boss 2.5" Front Aluma w/remote reservoir & coil overs; Rear Toytec Boss 2.5" Aluma rear shocks (no reservoirs), and ToyTec SuperHeavy Duty rear coils (RCC 2.0 HD-P, $ 210).

Is there a recommendation for a certain load spring, or would I be ok going with the RadFlo setup and the ToyTec springs?
I would seriously appreciate advise from those who have similar setups and uses for their rigs. After this is done, next on the upgrade list is an Exp One roof rack and an overland camper (Sandpiper RoofNest?)

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
I can attest to RadFlo being a great product . I run the Icon UCA with delta Joints but have Freinds that run The SPC and they are great as well . I am not 100 percent sure but 99 that the metal tech springs are the same as dobison . I would suggest MT because the color of dobison is god awful IMHO .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!
I really like the RadFlo/SPC option, and don't mind spending the money up front (am ok with a one-time pain ....) so I don't have to worry.
And, I too am not a fan of the color (ha ha) and the only lingering question I have is where to get the right springs. Any idea of the specific type of spring you are using?
I will check online to find Metal Tech now ...

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
I use the Metal Tech long travel Med I would not consider myself a overlander . But i do drive long distance to wheel and normally have a full load . I ran the Toytech super Flex springs and they felt the same on the road as the MT . But the MT LT really helps for what i do . My FJ drives very nice on the road and Off - Road it just works .

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Couple thoughts on SPC UCAs. They are not high end UCAs but they sure are getting more and more expensive from what they used to cost (something like $350-$375 a pair if you shopped around and found a good deal.

Take a look at the JBA UCAs. They have a lot of fans on the Tacoma and 4Runner forums.

On the Exp 1 Roof Rack....its a good looking rack and seems to be a takeoff of the stillborn All Pro Roof Rack. Couple gripes are the overall cost is high and then some initial feedback i saw on that thread is that people were underwhelmed with the lack attachment points. Frontrunner gets high marks for lots of accessories. But there are plenty of other roofracks on the market. Check out the specific thread on roof racks. Full disclosure I am running a Prinsu roof rack.

ALso...good time of year to shop for stuff. Lots of Black Friday deals etc. Pay attention to the timing of those. I saw you mentioned Metal Tech. Just got an email today for lots of cyber Monday deals for MT.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
G'Day,
I question why Glen recommended constant coils ...and not progressive coils .... as I would consider progressive springs a better option, unless your weight is fixed and never changes.... another option to consider are Icon 3 inch overland springs ... I am running these with a 2 inch King / resi suspension ... they can carry the weight and as weight varies give a smooth ride - both on and off road.
DU, we tend to build overland style rigs, and tow campers n vans ... and the icons suit my set up...
so just another variation to perhaps consider...
cheers
Baz
Legacy :blueblob:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couple thoughts on SPC UCAs. They are not high end UCAs but they sure are getting more and more expensive from what they used to cost (something like $350-$375 a pair if you shopped around and found a good deal.

Take a look at the JBA UCAs. They have a lot of fans on the Tacoma and 4Runner forums.

On the Exp 1 Roof Rack....its a good looking rack and seems to be a takeoff of the stillborn All Pro Roof Rack. Couple gripes are the overall cost is high and then some initial feedback i saw on that thread is that people were underwhelmed with the lack attachment points. Frontrunner gets high marks for lots of accessories. But there are plenty of other roofracks on the market. Check out the specific thread on roof racks. Full disclosure I am running a Prinsu roof rack.

ALso...good time of year to shop for stuff. Lots of Black Friday deals etc. Pay attention to the timing of those. I saw you mentioned Metal Tech. Just got an email today for lots of cyber Monday deals for MT.
Thank you for the reply. I will look for those JBA UCAs tonight and keep my eye out for the MT deals.
The roof rack is probably going to be a "next year" or late Christmas present for my rig. I mentioned it because I wanted to plan for the additional weight when I do get it. Ryan at Exp One said they have a new version of the roof rack coming out in the next few months which addresses past issues ... I'll be curious to see what they come up with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the Metal Tech long travel Med I would not consider myself a overlander . But i do drive long distance to wheel and normally have a full load . I ran the Toytech super Flex springs and they felt the same on the road as the MT . But the MT LT really helps for what i do . My FJ drives very nice on the road and Off - Road it just works .
Thank you FireMedic.
Since I am mostly looking at OverLand use (amd I have nowhere near the skills you do), would something like a long travel be a bit of overkill ... or is it better to just have it since I am doing everything else?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G'Day,
I question why Glen recommended constant coils ...and not progressive coils .... as I would consider progressive springs a better option, unless your weight is fixed and never changes.... another option to consider are Icon 3 inch overland springs ... I am running these with a 2 inch King / resi suspension ... they can carry the weight and as weight varies give a smooth ride - both on and off road.
DU, we tend to build overland style rigs, and tow campers n vans ... and the icons suit my set up...
so just another variation to perhaps consider...
cheers
Baz
Legacy :blueblob:
I am thinking progressive coils kinda makes more sense to me, but I am definitely in new territory here - this is why I seriously appreciate all the advice from friends in this forum.
I think my weight will never be "fixed." Sometime I do intend to add a roof rack, and eventually a roof top tent, where I will rig up a system to lit the tent as a removable package as it suits me.
Thanks for the Icon recommendation. I will look to see if they will have a Black Friday sale as well !
(y)

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
i do not think the LT rear is over kill at all and in fact a huge asset . I do not get caught up in the ovelanding term but run on the same trails and do rocks and long road trips . i just do not wear tactical pants anymore and do not need 6 laptops mounted to my dash to guide my journey :D:D:rolleyes: . i did however go to a big overland event this year were 100s or thousands of overlanders came and parked in a field with some really nice stuff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i do not think the LT rear is over kill at all and in fact a huge asset . I do not get caught up in the ovelanding term but run on the same trails and do rocks and long road trips . i just do not wear tactical pants anymore and do not need 6 laptops mounted to my dash to guide my journey :D:D:rolleyes: . i did however go to a big overland event this year were 100s or thousands of overlanders came and parked in a field with some really nice stuff
Thanks again!! :D
The MT LT option is looking pretty good. I've been reading about them and am going to start researching the prices (and looking for the upcoming sales). (y)

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Thanks again!! :D
The MT LT option is looking pretty good. I've been reading about them and am going to start researching the prices (and looking for the upcoming sales). (y)
There is a set of rear LT springs for sale in the for sale section

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Resz Fab has a good sale going on this month and is a Radflo Dealer . MT also has a sale going . I am Friends with All 3 owners and stand behind there products . I would recommend some rear Lower links and RLL skids . RCI make a good link skid . FJ Toyman make a great shock skid as well .

·
Registered
279 Posts
Icon overlander springs are pretty nice but should be called a weekendlander spring.

Ive used them the past year but I have less than 1.5 of lift with them. With rear exp1 bumper, fuel, fridge, fridge cab and all that, with the alucab stuff on top i need a way heavier spring.
looking into the 800lb Extreme HD Dobinsons spring.

My Fj stays loaded though, so your results may vary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Icon overlander springs are pretty nice but should be called a weekendlander spring.

Ive used them the past year but I have less than 1.5 of lift with them. With rear exp1 bumper, fuel, fridge, fridge cab and all that, with the alucab stuff on top i need a way heavier spring.
looking into the 800lb Extreme HD Dobinsons spring.

My Fj stays loaded though, so your results may vary.
That's very useful input. Thank you.
I'm likely going to pick up some MetalTech LT "Heavy" springs.
I will make that decision by tomorrow.
I promise to post my results after all my mods at this forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts