Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a multi-day Moab off-road overlanding trip around the Moab/southern Utah area. I'm wondering what some good basic mechanical spares would be to take with, perhaps some known areas of weakness on the FJ when it comes to off-roading. Hit me with your expert guidance and experience!

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,518 Posts
Don't weigh yourself down with parts if you're not going to venture too far from civalisation. A few 'consumable' parts that are within your skill set to fix on the trail makes sense but knowing what is going to break is a wild guess, on a well maintained truck treated well on the trail nothing should be needed.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,955 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Depends on what trails you will be doing and experience level.

You can do most trails with no spares except a tire.

For harder trails it would be a good idea to have some extras, but not necessary. I haven't carried much but plan to more in the future now that I'm making longer trips.

Some come to mind:
Spare CV and knowledge/tools to change it.
Couple quarts of motor and gear oil

A lot of times you'll just be wishing you had the simple stuff, tools and the like.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Depending on your ability to circumnavigate abusive situations, you may need or "Want" a lot of security?

1. One front drive, half shaft assembly.
2. One Outer tie rod end.
3. One Inner tie rod end.
4. One drive belt.
5. Aux battery, fully charged or install dual battery kit with isolator to keep it charged.
6. Starter motor if automatic transmission.
7. Electrical: An assortment of fuses, roll or 2 wire, test light volt/ohm/amp meter, relay, electrical pliers, engine/ECU electrical schematic.
8. Gear oil, engine oil, trans oil, antifreeze and a sealed drain pan, which you can use to store dry stuff if you never need it?
9. Cardan joints (U-joints) for rear/front drive shaft.
10. ignition coil
11. Spark plug or 2, or a pack of 4?
12. Spare Fuel injector, MAP/MAF/IAT sensors (possibly a bit over the top).
13. Electric fuel pump you can run in line or spare to replace the one in the tank (a bit over the top).
14. Spare ECU (over the top).
15. Various metric nuts & bolts.
16. Spare rear shock (I think you would have a difficult time replacing a front shock or spring unless you carry a spring compressor and those parts as well).
17. Differential parts and bearings (over the top). Broken differentials happen, so you could just remove the damaged parts and limp home in 2WD?
18. One or two inner tubes (These can be a life saver in the field, but you will need to be able to break the bead from the rim) and tire patch kit. If you tear a side wall you insert a tube and/or a patch from the damaged side, then fill the outside slit with RTV or maybe a patch on the outside as well?

Other Considerations:
A. Good first aid kit, a real one so you stitch someone up or frame up a broken bone
B. Recovery gear, fire extinguisher, spare tire, good jack (Jack(s) stand if possible), shovel, air compressor.
C. Dry food, water, blankets/sleeping bag/tent/rain gear/etc.
D. Cell/Satellite phone and/or CB radio.
E. Roll up flexible solar panel.
F. Spare fuel
G. Hand Tools including a mallet, pickle fork and 2 large pry bars and a hack-saw. (if you have to change tie rod end or a CV half shaft in the field, you will need this stuff)
H. Propane torch, striker, electrical solder, cooper solder and aluminum solder. (I have soldered a damaged radiator in the field!)
I. All the other camping crap you'll need.
J. Portable Generator-Welder and bit of steel (over the top).

Share some of the burden of carrying all this stuff with a buddy, GL

Reactions: Alexander Honing

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like it, thanks for the extensive list, will surely add a few but not all items to the list before heading out! I'm a pretty experienced off-roader in Jeep Rubicon's along with basic mechanical know how on most vehicles. Excited to be diving into FJ world and take this thing on its first multi-day overlanding adventure with no civilization in sight. 2 experienced friends in their jeeps will be joining. I'll post some pics when im back!

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,518 Posts
I like it, thanks for the extensive list, will surely add a few but not all items to the list before heading out! I'm a pretty experienced off-roader in Jeep Rubicon's along with basic mechanical know how on most vehicles. Excited to be diving into FJ world and take this thing on its first multi-day overlanding adventure with no civilization in sight. 2 experienced friends in their jeeps will be joining. I'll post some pics when im back!
Ahhh you're coming from Jeep... hence asking...

Take lots of spares for the Jeeps...none for the FJ:rofl:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I would carry tie rods, hard to even get towed back to civilization with a broken tie rod. And a spare u-joint as they are small and easy to carry. I wouldn't bother with a CV axle unless you are going deep into the bush; you can usually limp back on 3 wheels if you have to. Make sure you have a good spare tire and the tools to change it.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,881 Posts
x4 on tie rods. seen a couple bend...They can often be bent back, but if you can fix it solid with a replacement its MUCH better....You WONT find a new inner tie rod anywhere when you actually need it. Its the expensive one.

Maybe have a new belt. I actually replaced mine at like 50K and just threw the still-good OEM one in the jack compartment beside my tire plugs.

CV is the next piece to go most times. Dont forget the giant socket it takes...new oil, seal, ect.

Others can be taken care of by replacing beforehand...like the super thin OE rear control arms....The uppers like to snap at the welds and the lowers just bend.

Maybe some Colby Valves if your valve stems are prone to rock hits.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You WONT find a new inner tie rod anywhere when you actually need it. Its the expensive one.
$20-60 at rockauto.com... they don't take up much room to carry at all, so well worth having a spare along.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts