Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at this: Automatic Transmission SuperCooler rated at 13,000 BTU 11"x7-1/2"x3/4"

Seems to be built strong, like an FJ :)
Black, so it won't show behind the grille
Only 3/4" thick
13,000 BTU
Low pressure drop (LPD) feature to prevent excessive cooling when cooling is not needed
No fragile aluminum cooling fins
Some installation parts included
Good warranty
Well known company
Only $54.99
NAPA seems to seel this exact same one without the B&M name

Feedback/suggestions?

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
If you have the tow package and are not planning on overloading the vehicle you should not need one. It is rated at 5000 pounds I think.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
72 views and no more opinions? Really?

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else see these threads and "trannys" and at first thought, think they are asking about THAT kind of tranny? (as in not the transmission)

Anywho, FJ Florida, I was looking to install one due to running a heavy rig and oversized tires. I think that under those conditions, OR towing a good bit with a stock rig would be a good enough reason to run an external cooler.

I was looking at running a radiator something like this, for the ease of placement since i have a supercharger and it has a radiator that sits in front of the stock engine radiator.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thought all FJs came equipped to tow regardless if it came with the tow hitch.. unless the dealer lied (again..shocking i know)

If you use the cooler, make sure you put it before the factory cooler, many coolers over-cool, and need to be brought back up to operating temp by the factory cooler

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I thought all FJs came equipped to tow regardless if it came with the tow hitch.. unless the dealer lied (again..shocking i know)
Well in the sense that the only thing different between the "tow package" and non tow package is the addition of the tow bar and a short wiring harness. Nothing else is included. Your dealer got one right. hehe.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well in the sense that the only thing different between the "tow package" and non tow package is the addition of the tow bar and a short wiring harness. Nothing else is included. Your dealer got one right. hehe.
:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

That was the only way I could tell when they were lying.. their lips were moving!! Screwed up that theory...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I think I have read all of the threads here using the search tool for the past month or so. Install is not an issue for me. I'm looking for the 'best' solution. This B&M seems to have some nice features and durability for just a few extra bucks. Just looking for feedback before I pull the trigger.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it just me, or does anyone else see these threads and "trannys" and at first thought, think they are asking about THAT kind of tranny? (as in not the transmission)
Somehow, I just knew that this was going to become an issue in this day and age. :lol:.

I come from an era where I could walk into a speed shop and ask for a 'tranny cooler' and that question never came to anyone's mind. If I walked in and said, "Yes sir, I would like to purchase a 'transmission oil cooler'" ... well, at that point ole Scooter behind the counter would have tossed me out of his speed shop on my ear.

I've bought a lot of B&M stuff over the years, and that's one reason why I'm looking at this one.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at running a radiator something like this, for the ease of placement since i have a supercharger and it has a radiator that sits in front of the stock engine radiator.

What's the BTU rating on that frame-mount cooler? It's physically pretty small, appears to be single pass, and really has no airflow over it unless you are moving fast. Heat sinking to the frame is worth a little I guess, but not like a forced air multi-pass cooler.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

If you use the cooler, make sure you put it before the factory cooler, many coolers over-cool, and need to be brought back up to operating temp by the factory cooler
Overcooling can be a problem (thus the bypass in this B&M unit) but if you put a tranny cooler in line before the stock 'cooler' which is inside the radiator, then you are cooling the transmission fluid and then heating it right back up to radiator temp. The goal is to get the fluid below radiator temp.

The stock 'cooler' is best referred to as a 'regulator' not a cooler. At low temps the stock system brings the transmission fluid up to temp with the radiator. After that, the best it can do is try to cool the tranny fluid back down to radiator temps, which when towing or doing other severe duty isn't always enough cooling. So, the add on cooler goes in the fluid line AFTER the factory radiator cooler, not before. Otherwise, it comes out pretty much the same temp as the radiator.

B&M seems to have accounted for the possibility of overcooling in the unit I have listed, which would be a plus I think.

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I used one by Hayden but it looks just like the B&M unit. I did a lot of heavy towing even before adding the cooler. I had the transmission fluid flushed at the dealer @ 30Kmi and it was looking dark then. This is what prompted me to get the cooler. Plus most of the trails i am on is slow going rock crawling. I also added a cooler to the PS system. This was an immense improvement. Prior my PS fluid was BLACK and stinky after only 15Kmi and the pump started to make a whine when it was hot and being worked hard. After the cooler and using MOBIL 1 ATF fluid, it stays a cherry red after 45Kmi later.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You may want to baseline the transmission temperature. If you are getting near the limits on a regular basis, then think about a cooler.

Transmission fluid is sort of like oil, it needs a specific temperature range to operate correctly. Over cooling the fluid can damage a transmission over time.

All that being said, the stacked plate ones are the most efficient. If you are going to be in a situation where there is not a lot of airflow, you may want to add a temperature controlled fan to the cooler as well.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The only time I have seen a problem with overcooling a transmission was around 15 years ago, up here in January. Guy had an older 1 ton Chevy dually with a TH400

It was about -40 F, no winter front, and the lonely road I was driving on noticed a trail of ATF before I came across the truck. The fluid had started to expel from the vent

At idle, the fluid seemed a bit frothed but not too bad, asides from barely touching the bottom of the stick

It was only a few miles to a truck stop so I gave him a ride. Got a few litres of ATF, and asked if they had any empty cardboard boxes. Back at the truck, which he had left idling, added 4 litres to bring it up to a somewhat normal range

Made a winter front out of the cardboard, covered the grille and tied it down with pieces of wire. We were going in the same direction so I stayed behind his truck for about an hour, and no more problems. When we finally got to the edge of Winnipeg he pulled into another truck stop and we checked things over again. No problems

I would think in a very mild climate, it would be almost impossible to overcool a transmission.

It still makes sense to run the fluid through the external cooler first. The primary reason I do so is to remove all that extra heat before it's put into the cooling system

1 - 15 of 15 Posts