Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings! My family and I are blessed to be relocating to O'ahu in June of 2019. I'm posting the questions for which I haven't found answers after considerable research. It would be unfortunate to ship our beloved FJ there and then fail Recon without a good solution. I'm hoping that someone with local experience and knowledge will advise me.

I currently have a 2" lift via Bilstein 6100s, and Discoverer Pro STT 33" tires on stock 17" wheels. The tires slightly rub at full lock, just touching an inner plastic part of the mud guard, which I plan to shave down.

I've read the Recon rules, and have the following concerns:

1. As a result of the lift, my stock mud guards extend to about 1.5" above than the centers of my wheels. Is that small measurement likely to matter at the inspection station? If I pass Recon with that measurement, how likely am I to be ticketed later for being technically non-compliant?

2. BMC, body mount chop has been done on my FJ. The cuts are clean and straight, but the resulting openings are uncovered and visible, and it's obvious that the metal has been cut. If I have the openings welded shut and painted black, is this likely to pass Recon?

I'm not trying to break rules; I'm trying not to spend too much money making changes to the FJ.

THANK YOU for your time! My wife and I are very appreciative of your help.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Welcome! The following guy might just have the info you need. Hopefully he'll get the message.

@Hannibal

·
A-Team Moderator
8,174 Posts
Maui doesn't have that nonsense. RECON is an Oahu thing only. Vehicle laws from island/county to island/county are different.

Inspection consists of making sure the windshield isn't cracked, battery is secured, wipers and all lights & signals work, tires aren't bald and the seat belts work. They take 5 pics with an iPad and you're good to go.

1. I'd fill those BMC gaps in. 1 of the vendors on here makes filler plates.
2. Take it for Inspection and see what happens. The worse thing is a Failure, get it fixed, like adding mud flap extensions and have it re-inspected. "Failure" is no big thing. But get em done before standing in those lovely lines to register it. Otherwise you'll will not be allowed to register it until the Inspection sticker is rec'd.

In other words, don't bother trying to register it first without the Inspection. They'll send you away and you'll be standing in line again.

FYI: HI Driving books are only available at Long's Drug Stores.

Aloha

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the lead, BIGGUY!

Maui doesn't have that nonsense. RECON is an Oahu thing only. Vehicle laws from island/county to island/county are different.

Inspection consists of making sure the windshield isn't cracked, battery is secured, wipers and all lights & signals work, tires aren't bald and the seat belts work. They take 5 pics with an iPad and you're good to go.

1. I'd fill those BMC gaps in. 1 of the vendors on here makes filler plates.

2. Take it for Inspection and see what happens. The worse thing is a Failure, get it fixed, like adding mud flap extensions and have it re-inspected. "Failure" is no big thing. But get em done before standing in those lovely lines to register it. Otherwise you'll will not be allowed to register it until the Inspection sticker is rec'd.

In other words, don't bother trying to register it first without the Inspection. They'll send you away and you'll be standing in line again.

FYI: HI Driving books are only available at Long's Drug Stores.

Aloha

Aloha, and mahalo! Your guidance definitely helps my efficiency. I've read a lot about Recon before registration, but I didn't know about the books being available only at Long's Drug stores. I'm having new rear link mounts welded on, so I'll just have the BMC openings sealed at that time. My wife and I discussed all of the options this weekend, and she's ready to install whatever it takes to have a legal lifted FJ on-island. We'll clean everything up and take it in for Recon, and go from there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Passed Recon. Thanks again, Hannibal!

We had the BMC gaps filled, and had the FJ aligned (stock alignment) at Island Brake & Alignment. Nearly failed Recon because the stock rear mud flaps narrow towards the bottom, exposing just a little tire tread above the wheel center. They let it go, but just barely, and maybe they won't let it go next year. No big deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts