Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the subwoofer on my '15 FJ thanks to the instructions on this forum. It was super easy, thank you FJ brain trust. Now that the woofer is out, the stero doesn't work any more. It turns on and I can switch from CD to AM/FM to Bluetooth, but there is no sound. Also, turning the volume knob doesn't produce the usual effect, which is the appearance of a VOL sub-menu indicating the decibles. I have left the remaining wiring harness as-is when I removed the woofer (image attached). Does anyone know if connecting the two ends will solve the problem or cause damage? My stereo is stock. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On further inspection, and attempts, and failure. I realized that the two ends don't actually match, so I can't connect them even if I want to.

In my 2010 Cruiser I used to have a button up front to turn off the Subwoofer. This doesn't exist in the 2015.

Does anyone know how I can otherwise isolate the subwoofer and if that would solve my problem? In other words, would it get my stereo to produce sound again?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I learned something new today. In my 2015 FJ the Amp is embedded in the subwoofer (see the attached picture). So when I removed the woofer I also removed the amp. That explains why I was getting no sound. I wonder if this is also the case with previous model FJ's. In my 2010 I had an OEM Subwoofer switch in the lower center console with which I could isolate the subwoofer without loosing sound. I never tried removing the woofer. What have others done? My next step will be to try to separate the amp from the woofer and reinstall it in the back of the FJ.
Any advice on how to do this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Removed mine from 2010, switch and all, stereo continues to work fine. Did not reconnect the harness. Sorry don't know where the amp is in earlier models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removed mine from 2010, switch and all, stereo continues to work fine. Did not reconnect the harness. Sorry don't know where the amp is in earlier models.
Thanks,
That's useful information!

So then my hunch seems right that there is a different configuration with the 2015 (and likely 2014) model.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I never tried removing the woofer. What have others done? My next step will be to try to separate the amp from the woofer and reinstall it in the back of the FJ. Any advice on how to do this?
I needed to pull the subwoofer off on my 2013 yesterday to install LED taillights. So I tested your theory. I pulled the amp off the subwoofer and plugged it back into the wiring, and the stereo works great.

My plan is going to be to acquire the covers for the holes and take a look at how I might mount the amp. I'm thinking maybe on the underside of the the tray (part #62594E in THIS EBAY POSTING). I'll need to make some sort of bracket but the amp appears to have multiple locations for attachments. And it looks like the two wiring harnesses have plenty of length to mount it there.

If/when I can get it done I'll post up some pictures of what I came up with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks,
That's useful information!

So then my hunch seems right that there is a different configuration with the 2015 (and likely 2014) model.
Mine is a 2013 and the amp is mounted to the sub, the same as yours. I had to remove it to fit rear LEDs but didn't check if the head unit worked without it... I love the sub so I fitted it back in there... Hope you get to a solution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright. First off, thanks everyone for all the help. Now that I've gotten rid of the subwoofer there is very useful additional cargo space. I can honestly say I don't miss the sub at all. The music sounds fine without it.

Once I reconnected the amp it all worked perfectly. This is what I did subsequent to the steps above (the uninstallation of the sub as has been previously described):

1. Disconnected the Amp from the subwoofer. This is very straightforward. Undo the screws, unplug the amp from the sub (see the first attached picture). Unclip the open wiring plugs from the sen (see the second attached picture).

Your amp should look like the third attached picture.

2. Unscrew the metal brackets from the amp. Pardon, no picture for this but it's very straight forward. You need to get rid of the metal brackets for an easy fit in the rear passenger side cargo cubby above the rear fender.

3. To get the amp in place in the rear passenger side cargo cubby hole there is no need to pry open the plastic side moulding. There is easy access through the gaping holes created by removing the sub.

4. Determine the desired cable routing for once you install the plastic replacement panels. I got these peeps from the dealer and chose the rear tray option rather than the flat horizontal panel like there is on the dirver's side (Three pieces including a depression in the rear fender panel which now is a very helpful tray for holding loose items during mod work).

My preference was to run the main cable under the center bolt). See the 4th and 5th attached pictures.

5. Reconnect the cables to the amp.

6. Zip tie the amp down to the rear of the metal fender. See the 6th attached image. I found plenty of holes to do this. I didn't use particularly strong zip ties and its holding like a charm. I've been on very rough terrain (spirited speeds through washboards and lava fields) with no discernible budging of the amp. Also the heat of the amp during hours of road trip operation has not degraded the zip ties.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
You sir, are a rock star. Thank you for this post. I removed my sub a few days ago, and then realized today that I have no audio! Printed the steps and pics, and now I'm off to get this fixed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts