Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new FJ owner here in need of recovery gear. Was reading a post (from a while ago) from Layonnn that said you guys had the best deals on ARB recovery gear.

I'm not 100% sure of everything I need, but here is a what (I think) I need so far:

1) Tow Strap (no metal)
2) Snatch Strap (stretchable, no metal)
3) 2" receiver with shackle (d-ring?)
4) Hi-Lift (would you go 48" or 60"???)
5) Tree saver strap

Any other items or parts? Again, heard good things about ARB....

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
1) Tow Strap (no metal)
2) Snatch Strap (stretchable, no metal)
3) 2" receiver with shackle (d-ring?)
4) Hi-Lift (would you go 48" or 60"???)
5) Tree saver strap
I would say that 1 and 5 are not necessary (5 especially if you don't have a winch).

The snatch strap should be rated around 20Klbs. Much more and it won't stretch, much less and it won't be strong enough.

The receiver shackle is actually a much stronger recovery point than the side recovery points. And while it does tend to slightly reduce departure angle, it ends up saving the rear bumper from scrapes a lot of the time.

I would also recommend having at least two 3/4" bow shackles for attaching the snatch strap.

For Hi-Lift, i'd go with the extreme 60". Extreme because it has zinc coated hardware and is less prone to corrosion. 60" because you never know if you might be lifting slightly out of a hole or something and needing that extra foot. I'd also get the orange base Hi-Lift makes. This is useful if using the jack in sand, it can also be used with the factory bottle jack giving extra height and a secure base with it as well. Keep in mind that you need either rock rails or steel bumpers to effectively use the hi-lift.

With that said, in order of importance, or as the wallet allows, i'd buy:
1. Snatch strap and two 3/4" (or more) bow shackles (and receiver shackle)
2. Hi-Lift jack (and orange base, or make one out of wood and bolts)
3. all other things at your own discretion.

(Side note, a shovel and axe can be very effective recovery tools as well. I keep a long handled sharp axe and a spade in my recovery kit.)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Layonnn - Again, thanks for the help. A few more questions:

1) How is this for a receiver shackle?:

Warn Part 29312 - Receiver Shackle Bracket by Warn

2) Are the bow shackles the same as D rings? What load rating should they be? (e.g. 8000lbs)

3) Also I've heard that a 20,000lb rated snatch strap is good for the FJ, but it seems that ARB only has 17.5k and 24.0k. Any advice on which one to get?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts