Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a recovery hitch and I've found some that are hollow and some that are solid. The hollow ones are cheaper but are they strong enough? I can't imagine the hollow ones ripping out. Anyone experence problems? I would assume the snatch strap would go before any hitch.
What's the word on the street?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the question is, is there a risk.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
trailer hitches are hollow and seem to do well even if the force is not as severe as what a recovery strap might induce. If you buy it from a reputable company I do not think there will be a problem.

how much difference is there in price....less than 25%? I guess it is up to you...but I think as long as it is good American steel it should be fine.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Just snatched one from Tractor supply for 29.99 tax included thanks to jamesart finding it for me. I was not going to pay 60 bucks for one just because it has a big name stamped on it. If this one fails then maybe i will spend that much. Hopefully i will not even need it. if i do and it breaks, no one gets an eye put out. i will go buy another for 29.99 my 02:bandit:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I'd get the solid one just in case, you can never be too safe!:bigthumb: Plus the solid ones aren't much more expensive than the hollow ones.:simmadown:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I got the Warn model myself $41 and peace of mind that it has been proven in the field

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I bought the Tractor Supply one also. It looks solid and made out of good steel. I figure it's as strong or stronger than my class III hitch!!!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'd get the solid one just in case, you can never be too safe!:bigthumb: Plus the solid ones aren't much more expensive than the hollow ones.:simmadown:
Solid vs. Hollow:

May very well depend on what the material is...

A hollow hitch body made from either hot rolled or cold rolled plate and formed/welded into a square tube, may very well be stronger than a solid casting of unknown origin/quality.

A.W.D.

...as long as it is good American steel it should be fine.
As opposed to the not so good Japanese steel our FJ's are made of?

A.W.D.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Heck, I don't even use it anymore! I just use the hitch pin in the hitch!

One possible concern, is that there are differences in the size bolt which can fit through the recovery receiver. I know my D-rings, that I did use on my Recovery Receiver will not fit on a friends Recovery Receiver. My D-Ring bolts are to large for his. Which is a pain sometimes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts