Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did my last differentials and transfer case oil change back at 30,000 Miles I used the new toyota spec of 75w85 gl5 w/o lsd gear oil. And used the Toyota brand. Extremely expensive stuff. Approx. $32 quarts. Found redline gear oil with the same spec for $12. It says specifically it contains a limited slip additive. Question is since our diffs are not lsd will it hurt to use the oil with the additive since it appears they don't sell one with out. I do feel better that redline specifically states 07-09 fj cruiser as applicable vehicles. Also what are your opinions on this red line stuff? I know nothing about the brand. Would you guys use it on your FJ'S.

Note I did not use that for the transfer case. Used coastal brand synthetic blend 75w90 gl3.

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
Dosent the mobil 1 75w90 that everybody uses here also have the ls addative? Just wondering
No, only the M1 75W90LS.

It's getting harder to find the non-LS stuff in the chain stores lately. Not sure why.

DEWPFO

·
Registered
52 Posts
Toyota has 2 different LSD oils available but both are different weights. The oil that costs $32 a quart are only for the new 4Runners and the new Taco's with LSD's.

Either way the FJ's do not need them. On my 07 FJ I used the Redline oil for my Differentials, transfer case and MT. They worked great! I changed them out at about 26,000 kms not the recommended 64,000 km that Toyota says to do so.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm in the same boat and need to change out my front and rear diffs. Toyota quoted me at a whopping $50.13 for a 1 Liter bottle of their brand 75w85! I've seen dozens of posts (here in the forums) where owners have used Mobile One 75w90 synthetic. Is there really that much difference between the two? Also, is the Redline 75w85 GL-5 considered a synthetic oil or is it standard dino?

TIA,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
I'm in the same boat and need to change out my front and rear diffs. Toyota quoted me at a whopping $50.13 for a 1 Liter bottle of their brand 75w85! I've seen dozens of posts (here in the forums) where owners have used Mobile One 75w90 synthetic. Is there really that much difference between the two? Also, is the Redline 75w85 GL-5 considered a synthetic oil or is it standard dino?

TIA,

Jeff
Many here are using Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple or Mobil1 75W90 gear lubes. The Redline is a full synthetic.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
511 Posts
Many here are using Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple or Mobil1 75W90 gear lubes. The Redline is a full synthetic.

DEWFPO
Thanks DEWFPO. Since they're both synthetic, I guess I'll stick with the Redline 75w85 for the diffs and Mobile 75w90 for the TC since that aligns closest with Toyota's specs. Appreciate the help.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts