Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I know I've heard about these things out west, but how common are they?
Anyone have pictures of some, maybe with people or FJ for size reference (is pictured one an average size)?

...and how does it survive with a huge tunnel in the base of it??

I'm bored at work and just thought I'd post here to answer some of lifes questions:lol:

·
Registered
305 Posts
For those of us on the East Coast, if you have never been out west to see the redwood forests. It is just amazing. I had a 2002 or 03 Grand prix I rented while on vacation & drove through one of these trees. It was a tight fit. Not sure if an FJ would have fit through that particuliar tree. I was somewhere in the northern part of CA & the tree was on private property. I had to pay a fee to drive through it. Not sure of the hazard this actually has on the tree or how it continues to survive.

·
Registered
838 Posts
even with pictures. unless you are standing next to them, they are amazing at how big they actually are.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm an east coaster & a few years back I was out west & went on a tour of the redwoods, one of the coolest things I've ever seen. You must see before you die, put it on your "Bucket List" for sure.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Bohemian Groooooove.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I don't know how many there are.

The layer of the tree directly under the bark is the living portion of the trunk and as long a fair amount of this is intact, as in the case of the drive-thru tree, it is possible for the tree to live. However, it is obviously weakened by this and will no doubt succumb sooner than it would have otherwise.

http://www.drivethrutree.com/index.html

·
Registered
838 Posts
This is just up the road from here, The General Sherman Tree
In January 2006 the largest branch on the tree (seen most commonly, in older photos, as an "L" or golf-club shape, protruding from about a quarter of the way down the trunk) broke off. There were no witnesses to the incident, and the branch—with a bigger circumference than the trunks of most trees, a diameter of over 2 metres (7 ft) and a length of over 30 metres (98 ft)—smashed part of its enclosing fence and cratered the pavement of the walkway surrounding the sequoia. The breakage, however, is not believed to be indicative of any abnormalities in the tree's health, and may even be a natural defense mechanism against adverse weather conditions.[9] The branch loss did not change the General Sherman's status as the largest tree, as its size has been calculated using measurements of trunk volume, excluding branches.

Dimensions

Height above base[1] 274.9 ft 83.8 m
Circumference at ground[1] 102.6 ft 31.3 m
Maximum diameter at base[1] 36.5 ft 11.1 m
Diameter 4.5 ft (1.4 m) above height point on ground[10] 25.1 ft 7.7 m
Diameter 60 ft (18 m) above base[1] 17.5 ft 5.3 m
Diameter 180 ft (55 m) above base[1] 14.0 ft 4.3 m
Diameter of largest branch[1] 6.8 ft 2.1 m
Height of first large branch above the base[1] 130.0 ft 39.6 m
Average crown spread[1] 106.5 ft 32.5 m
Estimated bole volume[10] 52,508 cu ft 1,487 m3
Estimated mass (wet)[11] 2,105 short tons 1,910 t
Estimated bole mass[11] 2,472,000 lb 1,121 t

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
This is going to sound bad but a little part of me wants to cut down on of those big boys just to feel the earth shake when it hits the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I spent a week in Sequoia Park. That is where the world's largest tree is (not tallest). All I can say is that standing next to one is a surreal experience. I felt like I was on some sort of a weird "trip." They truly are majestic. I recommend experiencing these trees as one of the things all people should do before they die.

Another amazing natural wonder you must experience is the Gouffre de Padirac in France. This underground cavern is f*king amazing!!! There is an underground river, lake and GIANT stalactites and stalagmites. There are areas where the cave walls are 300 feet high, with 200 foot tall stalactites. This is something that does not look like it belongs on this planet. If you are every in France this is a MUST DO!!!!!!
.:: Gouffre de Padirac ::.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I used a helicopter to lift some stuff on the roof and he was telling me that there was a tree in the new england area that that had to cut into fours and each piece weighed right at 28,000 pounds a 1/4, and that was the max this one particular helicopter could lift....... Do they have redwoods up north?

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
even with pictures. unless you are standing next to them, they are amazing at how big they actually are.
I'm an east coaster & a few years back I was out west & went on a tour of the redwoods, one of the coolest things I've ever seen. You must see before you die, put it on your "Bucket List" for sure.
Hopefully, one day in the next few years I will make it back to the west coast:rocker:

This is going to sound bad but a little part of me wants to cut down on of those big boys just to feel the earth shake when it hits the ground.
:lol: I think that would be awesome. I'll bring the video camera:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another amazing natural wonder you must experience is the Gouffre de Padirac in France. This underground cavern is f*king amazing!!! There is an underground river, lake and GIANT stalactites and stalagmites. There are areas where the cave walls are 300 feet high, with 200 foot tall stalactites. This is something that does not look like it belongs on this planet. If you are every in France this is a MUST DO!!!!!!
.:: Gouffre de Padirac ::.
Just looked through their pictures. WOW! ...another thing added to the bucket list:clap:

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Just looked through their pictures. WOW! ...another thing added to the bucket list:clap:
Yeah. it really is one of those places. When I was in Sequoia National Park I went to Boyden Cavern. I was the first cavern I ever visited. I thought the 6' stalactite was pretty cool. Then I went to France and saw formations the size of multi story buildings! Holy :rocker: !!!!!Riding in a boat in an underground river is pretty sick!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I used a helicopter to lift some stuff on the roof and he was telling me that there was a tree in the new england area that that had to cut into fours and each piece weighed right at 28,000 pounds a 1/4, and that was the max this one particular helicopter could lift....... Do they have redwoods up north?
Redwoods and sequoias only grow in Californa and Oregon. Redwoods like the coastal areas and sequoias like the higher elevations a bit inland. There are many other big (but not as big) trees in the northwest such as sitka spruce and western red cedar but none of these grow in the Northeast.

Eastern white pine grow in the northeast as well as some hardwoods such as sycamore and poplar which can grow pretty big as well. 28,000 lbs a quarter sounds embellished to me for a northeastern tree.

This pic is in Sequoia National Park (Jan 2004) a few hundred feet from General Sherman.

·
Registered
701 Posts
:bigthumb:

The FJ barely fit! How much do they charge for you to drive through a tree?:lol:
I believe that it cost me $5!! I went through 2x. :)
Yeah, it was cool, and fun...but $5? Not sure about that. It was literally off one of the roads, you simply drove up to a kiosk, dropped in $5, and drove around a tiny loop with the tree. Wasn't like you drove through a portion of the forest or nothing!

Amazing trees, really.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts