Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone
I’m researching gears and have decided 4:56 or lower is what I need. I would prefer 4:88’s but I’m unclear if I need to replace my front carrier with either or just one (4:56) but not the other (4:88). What are the pros and cons to 4:88 vs. 4:56? Is either technically stronger than the other? On aside.....the tire size I will be running is 35” tall mud tires. I do not wish to have a front locker....I find ATRAC is good enough (I hate the loss of steering radius). I had front lockers in previous Landcruisers. In the future a gear reduction box is in the plan, but I wish to wait to see how they work out long term for people on the forum that have them. Thanks in advance for posting.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I talked to someone already about the same thing with the 33s (almost 34) I am running....to regain some pep and increase strength... I have 3.73 right now and they recommended 4.56 gears. 4.10 will get it just over stock and 4.56 will be optimal....it all comes down to how you intend to wheel and if it is Daily Driver or not and what your threshold is for the tradeoff of torgue and mpg.

The gears I was looking at (JT) required a new carrier for them unless you were also installing a ARB front locker at same time.....but they told me the new gears they have in now do not require a new carrier and can use the standard 8" setup we have in our FJs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ya....I have read that as well 4:88 = no carrier replacement (good to hear confirmation...thanks :)). This is what I'm interested in. However I'm wondering what the trade off is?.....is it as equally strong as say a 4:56 gearing that you need to replace the carrier with the ARB set up?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts