Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an REI outdoor equipment catalog today in the mail. Several really nice tents in there. They have both backpack gear and full camp equipment.

Question is, has anyone tried REI stuff? It looks like really good quality but I wanted to see if any of you folks have actually purchased anything from these people.

Kim:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Yeap. I have a couple REI things. Not a tent or anything, but a nice pack and a down jacket. Both were cheap and VERY well made. I am looking at buying one of their tents. (would have bought one of their sleeping bags but found a great deal on a down Marmot one.)

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeap. I have a couple REI things. Not a tent or anything, but a nice pack and a down jacket. Both were cheap and VERY well made. I am looking at buying one of their tents. (would have bought one of their sleeping bags but found a great deal on a down Marmot one.)
Yeah Layton, some of their tents look really nice! I trust your judgement on stuff like this so this makes me feel pretty good about spending money with these folks.

Kim

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Been a card carrying REI member since the 70s.
I also worked at the distribution center (where they ship all of your orders from) back in 2002 when I was laid off from Boeing for awhile.

Good gear.
However I buy a lot of stuff now from Cabela's.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I beat the snot out of that backpack this summer and it held up superbly. Still looks brand new. I throw my recovery gear in there when i go out on trail rides.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
REI is an old west coast company that makes some of the best quality hiking/camping equipment in the US. You can't go wrong with what they sell. Their return policy is outstanding. Not that you will need it. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
REI was my favorite store back when I lived in New Mexico. Great products IMO! I always get my snowboarding and camping gear there when I go home to visit, great customer service. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Been an REI member for over 20 years.

Don't know if they actually make anything themselves, but REI puts it's label on a lot of things. Like anything, quality varies and you have to choose what you want based on comparison shopping (quality and price). Good thing is that REI has a "100" Satisfaction" no questions asked return policy (like Costco) and, if you're a member, you get a rebate (8-10% depending how you pay) on all purchases.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow guys! That is some really good info! I have bought from LL Bean and Cabelas for years and years. That is probably why I got the catalog. I really liked quite a few things in the REI book that I had not seen in the others. I am really wanting to find us a nice, lightweight, tent that T and I can take for a 3 or 4 day weekend and not worry about the rain if it hits. We had a nice Cabelas backpack type tent but I want a little more room now. So...... that was what caught my eye first in the REI book but then the more I looked, the more I liked.

Kim

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The REI brand stuff is good quality at a good price. We shop at the store all the time. They are great about returns too. No problem returning without receipts. You should become a member. At the end of the year, you get a percentage of your total purchases back in a dividend check so you buy more stuff. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I took advantage too when I worked there.
Employees get 30% off any name item, and 50% off REI label gear.

I picked up that nice MSR water filter, and I got an REI Fat Cat 0 degree sleeping bag for $100, regular $200, but half off with my discount.

I still buy from there, but as mentioned, a lot of the car camping stuff I have been stocking up on for the past few months they do not carry, but Cabelas does.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You can't go wrong with REI stuff. They have a great return policy should you ever need to use it, not take advantage of it though. Since they are a co-op and have been since 1938 you actually get money back on your purchases too.
So go ahead and dive in.....personally my HUGE Basecamp 6 is the perfect tent for any condition and the perfect size for my family of 3, 4 if we huck the dog in too. :bandit:

·
Registered
704 Posts
My only gripe w/ REI is that they fund alot of the greenies that are shutting down our access to the lands we like to wheel on. Other than that, they are a great store.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can't go wrong with REI stuff. They have a great return policy should you ever need to use it, not take advantage of it though. Since they are a co-op and have been since 1938 you actually get money back on your purchases too.
So go ahead and dive in.....personally my HUGE Basecamp 6 is the perfect tent for any condition and the perfect size for my family of 3, 4 if we huck the dog in too. :bandit:
That is EXACTLY what I am interested in! We actually have 3 dogs, but two are getting OLD so we have a 9 month old Border Collie puppy that will be going along on the adventures now. The older 2 would rather stay at the MIL's house so they can stretch out and relax!

Kim:wave:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I am also a big fan and long time member of REI - :bigthumb:

-

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Well, returns are KIND of an issue seeing as how the nearest store to Kim or myself is Houston. Which is about 5 hours from here. Not just a drive over to the store, hey this broke, get a new one.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts