Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this post might get a little long, I'll cut to the chase first with my question before I get into a diatribe about me. Might save some folks some time.

Are there any reliability issues with a new FJ used as a daily driver?

OK, now for the drivel.

I am not what anyone would call a car enthusiast. I don't go off road. I've never done any mods to a vehicle. I rarely keep a car over 4 years for a variety of reasons, but I can't recall it ever being for high mileage or mechanical problems. Usually, I just get bored and want something different.

I haven't owned a "regular" car since I sold my 1981 Cutlass Supreme to my mother-in-law in 1984 (a story for another day). Almost all of my vehicles have been of the utility variety, including a Chevy K-Blazer, a couple of pickup trucks, 3 Jeeps and even a Hummer H1. At the risk of humiliating myself, I'll admit to owning a Chevy Astro van in the late 80's as long as it doesn't leave this forum.:lol

For the past 4 years, I've been driving a Jeep Unlimited Sahara. My itch for a new car started about a year ago when I became infatuated with the new Camaros. Having never owned a real American sports car, I was almost convinced that, at 55, if I don't do it now I may never do it. Then my eyes wandered a little and I considered a Corvette. Lusted after it, I should say. Did my research, learned about the nuances, almost considered myself a real Vette guy.

Then the ice storm came. With the Jeep, I was able to go to work the next day while others were homebound. I felt empowered. And reality reared its ugly head and I realized that this type of independence is much more important to me than the ability to drive 160 MPH 6 inches off the ground. Not to mention the fact that I don't recall ever driving over 90, and that was as a teenager in a 1971 Ford Pinto (no, it did not explode).

So, I am still wanting a new vehicle despite the fact that the Jeep (with its 43,000 miles) has never had a mechanical issue and still serves me well. In fact, I was on my way to the closest Jeep dealer recently to check out a new Unlimited Rubicon. I'm wanting more in the way of creature comforts than were available 4 years ago and the new Wranglers have all the gizmos and gadgets now. At a stop for lunch, in the parking lot was the best looking FJ Cruiser that I have ever seen. Really, got my juices flowing. I have always thought the FJC was a nicely styled vehicle but never considered one because my kids hated crawling into the back seat of my 2 door Wrangler (the one I had before my current Unlimited), which is why I now have a 4 door. But, now my wife does all of the family driving and 99% of the time its just me in my vehicle. So, having 4 doors is no longer an issue.

The slightly lifted Sandstorm FJC in the Chick-Fil-A parking lot prompted me to dig a little deeper into this vehicle. My research into the FJ brought me to this forum. I lurked for a couple of weeks before becoming a member a couple of weeks ago. And after a month of daily reading, the only question I can come up with is what was asked at the beginning of this essay. How is the reliability as a daily driver?

I realize that, on this forum, I am in the company of FJ zealots. I do not mean this in a bad way. You guys and gals are FJ crazy. As you know from my introduction, I have no real brand loyalty. I like Jeeps but I can't say that I love them. In fact, I am not passionate about any vehicle. I drive to get from point A to Point B. In any weather. Under almost any road conditions. At a height where I do not feel like I am going to get run over by other vehicles. In a vehicle I think is stylish (yes, I like the styling of my boxy-looking Jeep).

So, I am considering the FJ due to its styling, capabilities (clearly more than I will ever need) and reliability. I'm hoping you folks can shed some light on the last item. Certainly, if you'd like to offer other comments I would appreciate the feedback).

BTW, I did test drive a 2011 w/ the TRD and Convenience package. Surprised to find the interior more spartan than my Jeep. Most of the technology things I would like to get are available, either from the factory (Bluetooth hands-free phone, power locks, mirrors, windows, etc) or aftermarket. I found the ride to be pleasant and the interior noise was as good, if not better than my Wrangler (it has the hard top). I'm waiting for the dealer to get one in Quicksand - have not seen one in person in this color. Supposed to be getting one this month with Convenience Pkg, Upgrade Pkg and other items I need or want - trailer hitch, roof rack, etc. If I like the truck in this color, I may be joining the ranks of FJ owners before months end. Until then, I'll keep reading.

Sorry for the long post, but don't say I didn't warn you. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have had my 07 FJC since new. I am a medical sales representative and I drive it every day for ,not to, work. I have 73K miles and love it.

I find it awkward that you find the Fj more sparse on the interior than a wrangler. I think just the opposite. The FJ uses better quality materials and is much larger inside.

Good Luck with your decision, dont forget its a Toyota not a Jeep, I mean Fiat, I mean .....

·
Registered
369 Posts
yeah, my brother wanted me to take his newly-lifted and big-tired Jeep for a spin and I was surprised how claustrophobic it was inside. I'm a pretty big guy and guess I have become used to the room in the FJ. I also felt like my spine might break from the rough ride (although I attributed that to the suspension/tire mods)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would expect and fj to last just as long as my last 4 runner, around 450 000 km before i sold it. I have nothing against jeeps but I have had lost of trouble with chevy's, got an 08 avalanche and the trany already needed to be replaced. I have taken 1400 mile road trips through the mountains with a sea doo and 4 friends in the fj with out my breaks or trany over heating.

I really do feel safe driving an fj, they seem to be built and designed quite well for what there supposed to do.

hope this helps you out
:cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest, I stopped reading after you said you only keep a vehicle for 4 years. You probably wont have problems with any new vehicle in 4years, especially the FJ. If you are concerned a 6yr/100k warranty might be peace of mind.
Not really concerned about long-term durability (for the reason you noted), but the pissy little things (and the not-so-pissy bigger things) that keep you going to the shop. Even when covered under warranty, the inconvenience of doing so would wear thin on me.

I understand that most of the folks here do drive their trucks hard and the trail, rocks and mud can take their toll on any vehicle. That is why I qualified my question stating it would be used as a daily driver.

One reason for my question is that I've read a few comments on this forum regarding the alleged decrease in build quality by Toyota over the years. Having never owned a Toyota, I've nothing to compare a current model to. I also understand (having spent considerable time on other forums) that some folks can have a couple of problems with a vehicle and swear off purchasing anything else from that manufacturer and impugning the entire product line. Not interested in those kinds of comments.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
First off, welcome to the site! This is definately the right place to get the answers you seek.

Secondly, great introductory post! Good to see you have a good sense of what you want and what you don't.

Concerning reliability. It's a Toyota. And it is built in the Hino manufacturing plant which has been sited numerous times by the likes of J.D. Powers and Consumer Reports as being in the top five quality manufacturing plants in the world. If used for day to day commuting I cannot see you having any problems at all. The vehicle is engineered to cope with much more stringent use than this, so I'd say you would be operating it well within it's reliabilty envelope.

Having owned two FJs and driven 70,000+ miles between them I have been very impressed with how well these trucks are made. My old 2007, which was actually made in June of 2006 was a solid performer and gave me not a lick of trouble that wasn't caused by me on the trail (sometimes you gotta pay to play). This FJ was an early build in the first model year, for most vehicles commonly a trouble riddled period while bugs are worked out. But the FJ was solid, mainly because most of the major bits and pieces were sourced from existing models. Things like the frame, engine, transmission, suspension are all tried and true items fitted onto a new body and interior.

Also, having been a member of this forum for a few years I have rarely seen any major complaints of initial quality.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Go to www dot ********* dot com, and check real-life reliability results. FJ is among the most reliable vehicles. It is simple, and this helps to reduce the number of small "fix-this, fix-that" trips. I suspect that the vast majority of issues are self-inflicted due to the abuse that many of us give to this vehicle.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! The GF use my 08 as her DD. I find the FJ to be reliable and fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Coming on 5 years of ownership it has never seen the inside of a shop for any repairs. Routine maintance and that is it.

I used to get bored with vehicles after 2 years, still not bored with the FJ and probably wont be for a long time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not really concerned about long-term durability (for the reason you noted), but the pissy little things (and the not-so-pissy bigger things) that keep you going to the shop. Even when covered under warranty, the inconvenience of doing so would wear thin on me.
I'll say this about your comment above - The FJ is the 4th vehicle that I have bought brand new. It's an 08 and I now have 35,000 miles on it. I have not once taken it to the dealer for any problem, large or small, and I can not say that about the other vehicles I have owned at 35,000 miles (Mazda Protege, Mazda p/u, Nissan Pathfinder.) And, I am picky; any minor issue that would be covered under warranty, and I would be taking it back to the dealer for a fix.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
'07 purchased in May of '07

For the first three years I owned the FJ we kept it at the second house in Montana, then about a year ago we brought it back to Illinois and it's been a DD since then- oil changes every 5K, other fluids once and the cabin filter once and that's it; no other problems and a lot of fun!

It's made the 1,400 trip between MT and IL five times without blinking.

·
Registered
188 Posts
08 purchased new in 09. I use mine for both DD and backcountry excursions and find this to be the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. As I am often traveling long distances alone I also looked hard at the track record of the FJ for reliability as I do not want to be stuck in the middle of a wilderness area or on the way to work with a broke down vehicle. Nor do I need a vehicle that is high maintenance or in the shop often for constant issues. Been there, done that. So far no issues at all, just maintenance and me adding mods like a crazy person...love the FJ, great fun to drive and a steady performer.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies, folks. Good looking, capable and reliable. What more could a man ask for? OK, better gas mileage, I guess. But its at least as good as my Jeep, so can't complain about that.

This is a great forum. I appreciate the warm welcome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the replies, folks. Good looking, capable and reliable. What more could a man ask for? OK, better gas mileage, I guess. But its at least as good as my Jeep, so can't complain about that.

This is a great forum. I appreciate the warm welcome.
I don't know about all Jeeps, but I have to friends with 4 door J/K's and one with a Wrangler Unlimited, TJ, I think...and they wish they could get what I do. That's not saying the FJ is a fuel miser, because it's not. I'm running an ARB front, BudBilt skids, snorkel, 285 KM2's and MPAC racks full of crap on the inside and Gerri cans with gas sometime...depending on how hard I push it, I can get 18 mpg on the highway..less if I push to hard..meaning pushing 75 mph or more. My buddies wrangler must get about 14 everywhere we go. It's decked out with mods too, so take it for what it's worth. I would think a stock FJ on good gas could do 21 or 22 mpg...i think i did when it was stock...

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
2010, my DD and occasionally offroading. Truck will be 1 year old next week, 21,500 miles on it...No problems. Hoping that it will serve me many years like my other truck - 7 years old 4Runner (older brother of FJ) with almost 100k on it and only one problem that happen over the years - Frozen caliper. Internally 4th gen 4Runner is almost 100% FJ, just different body and interior :) So yeah, they are reliable :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts