Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading one the recent built in GPS threads, I like the idea of just installing it at the FJJammer radio/cd location. This made me wonder if the factory radio could be incased and moved elsewhere and maintain the full use of steering wheel controls for the radio/cd functions. Then use the mounting area for GPS/touch screen/VHF/UHF two-ways. Has someone moved the factory radio and maintained the steering controls?

Most appreciative, John

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
The in-dash Navigation systems REPLACE your factory stereo. You will need an adapter to keep the functionality of the steering wheel controls. Check the stereo/electronics section of the forum. There is discussion and comparison at length about all of it. Or just do a search! I have the Pioneer in-dash, but I would get a Kenwood (nav powered by Garmin) if I did it all over again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me try to restate my question and provide an example.

I would like to know if someone has moved and enclosed the FJammer head unit in another location other than the dash?

Keeping the FJammer unit remotely and using the steering wheel controls can turn it on/off, change inputs, and even search in radio mode. For my use, I would not have to look at the display once programming a few stations and loading the CDs.

I think it would be nice to use the dash space for another use. HAM radio unit, a VHF or all band reciever, a CB radio, or Lowrance GlobalMap Baja 540C/840C Off-Road GPS Navigation unit are items I have in mind.

This is a thought about space management for bulky electronics. Keeping the FJammer, compared to replacing it with a DVD/GPS/stereo unit.

Thank you, John

·
Registered
872 Posts
And, then how would you work said nav system? I suppose you COULD use the aux input on the radio, but..

Sorry, just not worth it. if you want to cram two things in that space, get a single din nav with a flip-out screen and use the other din slot for something.

RE: keeping the steering wheel controls; some aftermarket systems have adapters that allow those controls to keep working, and in fact, I think some unit (was it the eclipse?) worked without any adapter at all? use the search, cause I know it's in here.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I agree, definitely not worth the trouble.

I took a few minutes yesterday specifically to consider what you had suggested here. I came to the following conclusions after a few minutes of looking around inside...

I agree with the previous people, in that I think the best option is obviously do all-in-one with a nice head unit, as well as retain factory steering wheel controls with an aftermarket add-on.

That being said... I don't see why if you really were determined, you couldn't maybe modify and extend everything to either be in the glove box area (maybe too little space, not sure) or put it in the lower switch/cigarette lighter area and re-locate your switches maybe in a line in front of the shifter. Another alternative is mounting vertically in the center console open storage area, but that would require significant extensions of everything. I also doubt the CD player is designed to work vertically...

I think either way you slice it, you're basically looking at a huge amount of fabrication that's somewhat unnecessary given the options these days in head units. There's no telling what you could do if you were determined though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts