Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
That's scary...garage doors jam, power fails, they get left open or part-way
open. Some things just need to be VISUALLY verified to be safe.
chances are if it is in the garage you dont need to let it warm up for that long. the only time i would really need it is when i was up in the mountains to melt the ice on my windows in the morning, but other than that, if it were in a garage i wouldnt have that problem. sure it might be a little chilly inside, but as long as you are nice to the poor thing, it will heat up within a few minutes of driving. other than that, it was nice to have it when i was working outside on a sunken below ground level baseball field with no breeze and humidity like crazy because of the water in the ground, especially on 117 degree days this summer

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I live in Central Mass but my problem is that I am a Police Officer and when it's horrible out, businesses close, and people generally stay off the road - I can't... The remote starter isn't required but since installing one on my Hummer - there is no going back...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
this is ridiculous. GO out, start the car er TRUCK, go back inside the house, let it warm up, then go back out and get in it. Use 2 keys.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What scares me a lot more than anything else with remote starters
is the idea that one might get set off in the garage and fill the house
with CO. For this reason, and for the MT reason, I think they ought
to have a 'one time' arming switch inside the vehicle, which resets
every time the vehicle starts. That way, you'd have to tell it that
the next start may be remote when you park. Yeah, you'd be
inconvenienced when you forgot to pre-arm it, but you'd be a lot
safer, too.
This might be a stupid question, but if your car is parked in the garage, why would you need to remote start it?

If you are worried about the car just starting by itself, I've been installing remote car starters for about 11 years now, and have NEVER had a unit just start out of the blue. In addition to that, most of your remote start companies have a programming option that can allow you to make the unit start only with multiple button presses (i.e.-press start button 2, 3, or 4 times to ensure no accidental transmissions from purse, pocket, etc..), also the remote starters usually only run the vehicle for 15-24 minutes so its not like it will run all night in your garage.

Hope this helps.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts