Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to the local dealer this weekend. They told me that my 07 with 60k miles has World Service ATF and that the transmission doesn't ever need to be serviced.

My thought is: To what advantage is it for them to prolong the life of my Transmission?

Anyways I'm thinking about adding an additional cooler in the return line and a transmission filter.

I saw one thread on adding a filter here. I don't like the idea of using hose barbs and clamps and would much rather have some hydraulic hoses made. Any idea what type/size fitting fits in the transmission?

·
Registered
112 Posts
The barbed fittings will hold many times more pressure than your tranny will produce. If you want to have lines made, I recomend #6 100RAT it is about 3 dollars a foot and is in stock most hydrolic hose making places. Dayco makes a version called easy flex and it can bend on a 4" radius, this would be good for you since it is easy to run it where you need to. It will hold 1500psi and burst at around 3000psi. it also has steel braids inside the and is very hard to tear or cut.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I went down to the local dealer this weekend. They told me that my 07 with 60k miles has World Service ATF and that the transmission doesn't ever need to be serviced.
Yep, that fluid is good for life. The life of the transmission if you never service it, which might be as short as 60,000 miles.

I'm now in the habit of a yearly pan drain and refill. Getting the fluid level correct is easy if you precisely measure what you drained out, then refill the exact same amount

A few have put on external tranny coolers - a very good idea - and even power steering coolers. The PS cooler is a good idea if you offroad a lot.

An external tranny filter is a great idea. The better ones have an internal bypass so if the filter plugs or the fluid is too cold and thick, you won't starve the tranny

Some tranny's, like the HD Allison have an external spin-on filter in addition to the sock in the pan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that fluid is good for life. The life of the transmission if you never service it, which might be as short as 60,000 m....
...e the HD Allison have an external spin-on filter in addition to the sock in the pan
Do you flush the converter too? I have a 2003 Powerstroke that I change the trans fluid on ever 25k miles. (its used for heavy towing) I disconnect the return line from the transmission and let it pump all 20 quarts of ATF out. Of course I keep the pan full through the dipstick tube as I'm flushing. I'm wondering if I couldn't do the same thing on the FJ? Ideally I'd like to do that before I add a filter anyways.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
So do most oil filters have a bypass feature or is it specific to transmission oil filters?
Engine oil filters - depends on application

The external transmission filter adapters i have used, they have an internal bypass in the housing.

Do you flush the converter too?
Since the FJ auto trans doesn't have a dipstick, it would be a lot more difficult to add fluid as you're flushing. It's a royal PITA to get the fluid level correct in the auto trans

I figure a yearly pan drain gets out enough

1 - 6 of 6 Posts