Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give any real-world experience on going remote reservoir vs. non remote vs. DSC (variable dampening) on a given line of front struts? (aside from the cool factor)
On my 2008 FJ early on I got a set of All-Pro's w/ remotes, and uni-ball UCA's. Back then there was less choices. I set the click setting on the struts and left it alone for the last umpteen years. Lower mounts are shot and clunky, right spring broke a few years back on my mostly on road miles. Old pieces have about 140K. Anyhow, it's Christmas!
What say you about your experiences trying a given brand with or without reservoir? With or without DSC?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I want a set of adjustable remote Fox’s badly, my buddy has a full tilt Raptor setup that is just so good. The FJ is my only vehicle I skimped on leg day and while I’m fine with it, because of what the FJ is used for as a fun DD, I’m still bummed I went with the Bilstein 6100’s and they’re a critically damped setup imo/ albeit a bit harsh for most people on the street.
But I’m throwing a set of FOX’s on as soon as I sell a set of wheels taking up space in the garage to pay for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want a set of adjustable remote Fox’s badly, my buddy has a full tilt Raptor setup that is just so good.

I'm assuming Raptor setup is having Fox remotes front and rear? Did y'all change rear springs also? I put on some free-bie Overland Icons a customer gave me. Way too much spring unless you're pulling a loaded utility trailer or have a fully loaded rig. Likely going with some aftermarket 2" lift units.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That wasn’t clear at all I must have been drinking

My buddies Raptor has a full FOX remote adjustable setup, among other things, it is by no means apples to apples but they ride amazingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Remote are reservoirs mounted away from the shock. Non remote may have reservoirs mounted to the body of the shock or no reservoir at all. DSC is Damping adjustability thru adjusters for compression (some brands allow compression and rebound).

Remote are better due to capability to keep the heat separated from the body with the nitrogen expansion and shock oil. You can use the remote pressure line to hold more ounces of fluid. The non remote will be a fixed amount due to design that the reservoir is usually welded to the body of the shock.

Both are better than no reservoir, but you may be limited by space so a builder may choose one over the other. Unless you're racing, you probably won't know the difference.

DSC choice is optional. If your valving (internal compression/rebound from factory) sucks for your choice of vehicle build, no amount of adjustability will help you. If it's valving is set well, DSC can help you fine tune, but simply turning them to stiff may give you a false sense of it helping to drive thru obstacles. People usually turn them to stiff to help heavy laden vehicles which isn't ideal.

Hope that's a good start!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Unless your racing, you probably won't know the difference.
Pretty much nailed it with that. Unless you have a specific need for extra adjustibility non resi coilovers are very capable. If you buy your shocks from someone who will tune them for you before delivery you will be very happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts