Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my air dam off tonight as I'm getting ready to install a 4 hole and wow! Dirt/Debris and Moisture everywhere.
Looks like a rust trap just waiting for rust to start.

I cleaned the roof after this pic and the paint is discolored badly. I'm hoping it will buff out.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
It should buff out but I would use some WD40 to remove the dirt /grime first then clean it well to get wd40 off and add wax to protect. Thats some serious accessory damage good luck

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Not to go off topic, but FJ&TJ_Dude: Please do tell what the story behind that avatar is. Been meaning to ask about it when you were posting elsewhere. I like it, alot. & Ya, that is a bummer about the roof, did it come from the factory with that on? Looks like you'll be able to clean it up. Good Luck.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to go off topic, but FJ&TJ_Dude: Please do tell what the story behind that avatar is. Been meaning to ask about it when you were posting elsewhere. I like it, alot. & Ya, that is a bummer about the roof, did it come from the factory with that on? Looks like you'll be able to clean it up. Good Luck.:cheers:
I'm not sure. I bought the FJ used.
I'm going to buff the hell out of it when the weather gets better.
I know one thing is for sure, I won't run another air dam like this again.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
I was told about this from another member who removed his oem air dam. I have one on and am thinking about removing it to clean it. I always clean under it well, but the actual area that makes contact with the roof is worrysome.

He related the air dam to bushwacker flares. They can trap debri and scratch the paint as well.

Sucks this is an OEM product that potentially can cause damage to the vehicle. Wonder if Toyota would do anything about this issue. (probably not)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Goo Gone also does a good job cleaning stains off of white paint.

If you put the air dam back on, you might put a strip of white vinyl decal material up there. It would blend in with the roof and protect the paint.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Its easy to forget the roof part when hand washing any vehicle, so I always start from top to bottom..details ...details ...:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Yep. I mentioned this in another thread about my Gobi Stealth dam. I pull the dam off twice a year to clean/wax underneath it.

Still haven't found an easy way to wax under the Stealth yet. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Where is this airdam located

Welcome to the forum. It is the one that is an option and its right above your head on the roof.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts