Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to remove my factory air dam and roof lights that came on the vehicle when purchased. I would like to replace them with a Baja Rack basket and maybe some smaller Rigid or Baja light spot light pods or remove the roof lights altogether. Im concerned with water intrusion if I remove the lights outright or if I replace the lights with pods, wondering if there would be a fuse issue. Could I just plug in the light pods using the existing factory connection?

The existing factory lights are the Hella 500's (two). Hope this is clear enough. I welcome any advice and suggestions.

Rob
air dam.PNG

·
Registered
473 Posts
If the lights are using the factory wiring (a plug-in pass-thru roof connector) you can just unplug and detach the lights. Then remove the airdam and light support brackets. Those Hella lights used 55w lamps so any replacement lights that don't exceed that are OK to attach to your factory wiring. Note the factory roof pass thru connector is difficult to impossible to find so you will want to reuse it and the harness that is going to the Hella lights. If the existing wiring is not the factory but and add on it will probably still work but without knowing how the wiring was done (fused with relay) can't say how safe it is. The factory setup is sealed at the roof connector so leaks shouldn't be an issue but if you do not reinstall any lighting and use the plug-in try to cover the plug in port on the roof to protect it from water and dirt which could make it unusable if you decide to use it later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@FJ4RWS, thanks so much for the info! I want to start removing things to see where its all originating but Im afraid of the answers! LOL! As in a hope in my roof! :oops: Is there a quick way to determin the installer used the factory pass thru connector?

·
Registered
473 Posts
@FJ4RWS, thanks so much for the info! I want to start removing things to see where its all originating but Im afraid of the answers! LOL! As in a hope in my roof! :oops: Is there a quick way to determin the installer used the factory pass thru connector?
The factory wiring goes up the driver side A-pillar and a hole is drilled through the roof behind the air dam close to the driver side roof rack foot to mount the female (socket) side of the roof light harness. The plug from the roof lights plugs into that socket. If you only have wires without any way to disconnect them at the roof then the wiring is aftermarket and might be well done or might not. To determine if aftermarket wiring is OK to reuse will require tracing the wiring to see how it was done. Also the Factory wiring will have a factory style switch in the center console with a side view outline of the airdam and light above it. There will also a fuse and a relay installed in the engine bay fuse box in the roof light locations. In addition the factory wiring will only allow the roof lights to turn on when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The factory wiring goes up the driver side A-pillar and a hole is drilled through the roof behind the air dam close to the driver side roof rack foot to mount the female (socket) side of the roof light harness. The plug from the roof lights plugs into that socket. If you only have wires without any way to disconnect them at the roof then the wiring is aftermarket and might be well done or might not. To determine if aftermarket wiring is OK to reuse will require tracing the wiring to see how it was done. Also the Factory wiring will have a factory style switch in the center console with a side view outline of the airdam and light above it. There will also a fuse and a relay installed in the engine bay fuse box in the roof light locations. In addition the factory wiring will only allow the roof lights to turn on when the high beams are on.
Thanks for the detailed info. I checked, looks like its a factory setup, all done exactly as the PDF said. switches match and lights only fire with High beams. After reading what it took to get up there, I may just leave it......WOW! What a production to get that installed!
was thinking of replacing the dam with a foldable light bar, just seems less intrusive on the roof. Do y'all think that would increase the chances of water intrusion (as the dam covers the roof hole)?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I remember the connected being odd and fairly application specific. Otherwise , there should not be other issues with leaking, etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts