Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FJ had an aftermarket front bumper when I bought it...as far as I can figure out it is an Expedition One. Several rock throws have started to rust and so I had planned to pull it and have it Line-X coated (worked very well on it's rusty rock sliders and rear bumper). Fast forward to pulling this bumper...was able to get the 2 inboard nuts off the bumper, quite rusted but a bit of encouragement and they came off. The remaining 6 outboard nuts were another story, they thread on to factory studs the are welded to the end of the frame rail. Nuts hopelessly rusted on, essentially round and almost impossible to access. One design flaw on the bumper is that there is pockets on both sides that hold about 1-2" of dirt/mud with no drain hole to allow this to clear. My guess is that these nuts were swimming in mud most of their life. After about an hour of trying/swearing reverted to the grinder and took the heads of these studs off... a lot less swearing, couple whacks from a sledge hammer and the bumper came off. When I remount it, I'll run the new bolts in the opposite direction so the nuts are accessible from the fender well, a liberal dose of undercoating should slow the rust. Oh ya, drilled a couple 3/4" holes in the bumper, should drain well now. What a PITA, the flesh should grow back on my knuckles in a week or 2.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sorry about your Saturday. Good field service report though.
Here's hoping you've saved other Exp1 owners some grief. ?

·
Registered
456 Posts
90 deg impact and a wobble is the way to go with these I believe. Anyways glad you muscled through.(y)

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
additional thought: apply anti-seize to all of the threads before re-assembly so that in some future year if you ever want to take it off the fasteners will all unscrew much more easily (it will seal the threads so they won't rust)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought about the anti seize, good idea but I'm not sure it will be better than the undercoating. If they do get buggered up by rust, having them reversed will make cutting off the nuts with a cutoff wheel a lot easier. Poor design in the first place. Debating beefing up the mounting plates one the end of the frame rails, they look like 1/16" plate that is welded to the end of the rail and have 4 bolts that pass thru them and into the bumper, I know it's OEM but it looks flimsy esp if I add a winch. Thinking about plug welding some 3/16" plate on to the end of the frame...should hold up better when winching.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
"not sure it will be better than the undercoating."

the undercoating will only be able to protect what it is covering, and then only if it never develops any crack

anti-seize goes on the threads directly, and I've found it keeps fasteners, even used on exhaust, able to unscrew years later (living in SE Michigan, so lots of road salt/rust)

My philosophy is that rust protection is a matter of layers, each one protecting in ways the other cannot. More layers is better.
N

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You make a good point. This stuff probably will work just fine I’ll pick up a tube tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip

·
A-Team Moderator
10,288 Posts
I'll 2nd the E-1 bolt access and lack of drain holes is a PITA. I got my hand in there thru the fog light hole.

As for the winch, there's supposed to be cross drilled, thru the frame rail ends, bolts that came with the bumper. Top of my center hoop got hit by a couple of meteors and took off the powder coat, but that's easier and cheaper to repair than the hood edge or windshield.

E-1's have a laser cut mountain peak logo in between the Hi-Lift jack holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine looks very similar minus the hoops over the headlights and a pile more rust. On mine I could not reach the mounting bolts via the fog light hole, it wouldn't have mattered, the bolts were essentially rusted round. I'm not committed to a winch just yet as I have a Tirfor that is load rated at about 3X the vehicle weight. No extra batteries needed and can pull in any direction, with 50' of cable it should get me through. The front of your rig looks pretty sick.

·
Premium Member
12,204 Posts
Where in Canada are you? I'm thinking of removing mine for a good refresh..could always use an experienced hand....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Located in Calgary. If it will help I'll plan to fire off some pics of the reassembly. PM me with your eMail address if you are interested. Might post here as well if files are small enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts